Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tuesday's Orts--Oct 5, 2010

Tuesday this week is about 35 degrees cooler than last week, thankyouverymuch!
  • I continue to learn about measurements, far, far from my school days...Recently I read that an acre is about the size of a football field.  Now I can actually picture that in my head.  However, that brings up a confession:  I have never been to a football game.  Lots of soccer, baseball, softball and basketball games, but no football.  It's loud and people get hurt far too often.  I can't watch! 
  • Another measurement I learned is the size of your stomach, which only holds about 16 ounces.  Check THAT out--not a lot of area!  Makes it a lot easier to picture how little food a person actually can eat before being full, literally.
  • My mom and dad stayed the night in Paducah, Kentucky on their way back from Ohio.  They brought me a book from the National Quilt Museum that they toured and were very impressed by, as well as the city itself.  Lots to do there arts-wise.  I'd like to go there someday too!
  • Grant and I were supposed to have a getaway last weekend but our plans never solidified.  Erica came home on her lunch break from work on Saturday to find us still home and said, "You guys are dumb".  Thanks, darling, for your support.  We did go out to dinner at least!
  • And we also went out to breakfast the following morning.  We didn't wake Erica to come with us as she got home verrryyyyy late and we were at the restaurant when she called her dad to complain.  He offered to order her something and bring it home but she said she would just have "a bowl of cereal flavored with tears".  When we got home much later, after some errands, I asked her how her cereal was and she said "Like a bowl of misery". That girl is too funny.
  • It is October and I am happy to note that although this time last year there had been Christmas trees up in the home improvement stores for over a month, I think the rebound of complaints finally hit home and there were none to be seen at our Lowe's store when we went looking at flooring. 
  • Traffic rant of the week:  Yes, it's true, you must actually come to a full stop at a stop sign before you make a turn into my lane from the side street.  If you did actually stop then I, the only car on the road, could actually pass by without having to brake, you selfish moron.
  • My estimate of what I spent at the quilt show last week was off.  I said $80 but when I added up my purchases, it was under $60.  I guess I was including the entrance fee and lunch!  Here are my goodies:
  • The fabric in plastic was clearance priced one yard cuts for $5.  The others were half yard cuts for $5.50.  And some Precensia perle cotton I wanted to try, $16.  These were all from different vendors.
    I thought the one yard cuts would play nicely with some others I had at home, and they do.  I'm thinking they would look great for the Cocoa Baskets from the Sept/Oct 2010 McCall's Quilting.
    At the freebies table, I picked up some hexagons.  They were labeled Addicting and Contagious.
    Pretty fabrics were included.  I haven't touched them yet so haven't been infected as yet!

11 comments:

Vivian said...

Aren't adult daughters total entertainment some days? Sounds like Erica is a hoot.
You got some good-looking fabrics at the show. The green "splats" with pink rickrack grids is a fave of mine.
I think the Paper Pieces company has single-handedly infected the USA quilting population with the urge to do EPP. Some friends started after getting free or inexpensive products from PaperPieces at quilt shows, and away they went. I held off for a while, but now I'm knee deep in it and loving it. Samples in kits just a couple years ago were 1930s fabrics. Looks like they know how to package for the current trends.
How long have you been reading the Taniwa blog? Reading about quilting in different countries is SO interesting.

Quilter Kathy said...

I have been to the Quilt Museum in Kentucky and saw the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen in my life so far...amazing!

Browndirtcottage said...

Wow..Wow...luv that hexie fabric!! So glad your 'temps' have come down...man...how did you survive HOT night sleeping!!

Ok...beings I'm from the farm....an acre is 5 crop rows 1/2 mile long.....LOL....just thought
I'd give you another measurement to think about!

Stephanie D said...

Thank goodness for cooler weather! I know there are some Christmas items up in Michael's, but I can forgive the craft shops for Christmas displays this early. Not the hardware stores.

Shay said...

Oh that Erica is a total hoot. She's gonna keep you on your toes well into your 90's.

Next time wake her up and see what kind of a response you get !

That flowery fabric in your last pic is one of my favourites at the moment. I got some recently and I wish I'd bought more. Have fun piecing hexies.

This entire post gave me such a laugh out loud Wednesday morning before work . Thanks Annie.

Libby said...

Tuesday Orts are such fun. The driving rants are my favorites each week . . . I miss CA drivers so much - even though they sometimes do strange things, I often feel like there must be a whole different set of 'rules of the road' for New England *s*

julieQ said...

Your quilt goodies are so pretty! Poor Erika...poor little girl...LOL!

libbyquilter said...

i would really love to know what you think of the Precensia Perle Cotton and beware: the paper piecing really is addictive~!

:-)
libbyQ

Unknown said...

I think your weekend sounds like it was wonderful. I like to talk about what I am going to do more than I like actually doing it. I love being at home and just doing whatever. Your goodies from the show look wonderful.

Marg said...

I love your Tuesday Orts posts, they are fun to read. I especially like the driving ones, I can always sympathize.
I love your fabric purchases, good luck with the hexies I am too afraid to start as I know I will be hooked.
Glad you are having cooler weather, our weather is just starting to heat up, I am hoping we still have spring I don't need summer yet.

YankeeQuilter said...

Paducha is a cute town...I was amazed at how many stores and restaurants participated/dressed up for the quilt show!

Aren't the cooler temps wonderful!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...