Saturday, November 27, 2010

Goodbye to Fall

Though Winter officially starts in a little over three weeks, signs that the Christmas Season has begun are evident in my neighborhood.  Lots of folks putting up strings of lights this weekend, probably many getting a tree up as well.  Not us.  We like to hold off until December is on the calendar page.   Here are a few last Fall photos from my corner of the world:

Our across the street neighbor's ginkgo tree, all orangey gold, still has most of its leaves.  Two other gingkos on the block have yet to turn.

In southern California, Fall means brown hills and green fields. The strawberry planting is all done in October.  There are vast fields planted all over the county; this one is about two miles from us.

My favorite mountain range looms over the coastal plain.  These are the Topa-Topa Mountains.  Snow appears from time to time on this 3500 foot range during the winter storms, a lovely treat to see. 

A fall vignette with a tablerunner I made last year.  The other side has Halloween tumblers.

Gorgeous Thanksgiving Day flowers from my mom (she brought these but forgot her fruit salad, silly woman!)

Love the purple fringe on these sunflowers.  Daisies and mums, eucalyptus and cattails flesh out this fall arrangement in all its colors. Goodbye, Fall! The red and green reverie is about to begin. 

6 comments:

Lindah said...

A lovely post, Anne. We like to hold on to fall as long as we can, too. Up here in the northern end of the state, Thanksgivng Day was a lovely fall day. Now it is rainy/cold, more wintry, snow on the mtn tops.

Wishing you a blessed Christmas season,
Linda

Shay said...

I have to say Im so looking forward to our summer (which officially starts this week ) Whoooooooo Hooooooooo. Hot days and sunshine. Bring it on.

The flowers are just too gorgeous. I love the vase. Is it vintage? And are thos starwberries planted in raised beds? (Lots of questions from me today )

quiltingnana said...

nice tribute to fall

Lori said...

The flowers are gorgeous!! Better than food anyways and will last longer:)
I'm going to be taking down my fall decor today and movin' to the red and green soon!

Libby said...

Oh the strawberries - they are just the best! Fall is my favorite season no matter where I am *s*

Nanette Merrill said...

Good to catch up with you. Fun stuff.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...