Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dashed plans

No sewing happened here for several days after the whirlwind quilting weekend on Kitchen Sink, but there was fabric prep!  I washed all the wedding quilt fabrics:

There are a couple of batiks there, which are so great because they are two sided.  The lightest fabric is a white on white and I sometimes have trouble keeping those right side up!  This pile needs ironing and then lotsa cutting.  Fortunately the Natural Beauty pattern (Quilts and More Winter 2010) I am doubling in size features strip sets so the cutting is minimized a bit.

I also composed the label for Kitchen Sink, got it assembled last night and stitched down this morning.

Though unplanned, the leftover triangle somehow turned into a little house and naturally it needed a window and a garden bed.  I like it!

Then I played with some other leftovers because I want to make a quick mini quilt for summer.  And here in the USA, that usually means some Americana for Independence Day.

I just love this wooden stand and mini quilt I won at a silent auction a few years ago at a local guild show.  I've made several other holiday minis but wanted one in a patriotic theme to replace my spring decor.  Easter has not been shown the door yet--I still have eggs and chicks and bunnies on display.  I've been busy, I tellya!  There is a certain future event that has taken over, okay? 

Speaking of which, bride-to-be Elaine and I chatted online for an hour brainstorming the use of Mason jars for the reception.  Then we hunted online and Elaine scored some on sale yesterday at Smart and Final at $7.99 for 12 jars and got a raincheck for the rest.  I stopped by Big Lots last night to look for scrapbooking tools for making labels and serendipitously found Mason jars for $7.25 a dozen.  Oh joy!  I snapped up another 9 dozen to complete the anticipated number, saving 74 cents on each.  Every penny saved helps.  We're going to make these jars do triple duty in a fun way.  But that's a secret til the wedding! 

In the meantime, nothing has been done on this month's UFO, Yuletide Blessings.  And now I'll be down to 11 days to make a quilt.  We'll see what happens!

11 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

It's nice to come across someone as stretched out as I am. Kitchen sink looks great! Love your sense of humor and the Tuesday orts. Life is crazy, huh? Marcia, Marcia, Marcia and a burpy lady all in one week. Exciting!

Good luck on the wedding quilt. the fabrics are lovely

jovaliquilts said...

I love love love your label! So much personality, perfect for a quilt called Kitchen Sink. :)

Have fun with the mini -- I like the idea of having little quilts to rotate by the season.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your quilt label :)
Can't wait to see what you're dreaming up for those mason jars!!

Shay said...

I think Easter decor quite easily doubles as Spring decor so dont you worry your head about that. In fact I wouldnt even have confessed!

Bargain on the mason jars. And you're right - every penny saved is a penny you can spend somewhere else.

Here's hoping the weekend gives you time to sew up a storm (crafty time has been pretty thin on the ground here too this week!)

Anonymous said...

Oooooo I'm guessing the mason jars will be very cute lanterns with tea lights. :-) Can't wait to see!

Kate said...

Hope things slow down a little so you can get back to sewing and enjoying the wedding prep(well maybe enjoy is too hopeful, survive maybe?)

Joyful Quilter said...

Cute label. Sounds like you are going to be very busy with lots of sewing.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Darling label.

Vivian said...

The label couldn't be any cuter. Wise use of that triangle.
How badly did the batiks bleed? Nice group of fabrics.
Looking forward to seeing how all those Mason jars are going to be used. Sounds like you and your daughter are on the same page as far as creativity and saving money when possible. The countdown continues!

Unknown said...

Great bargain on the mason jars. I enjoy using them as glasses in the summer! Handy as a vase also! I know you will find some wonderful and creative uses for them.

Love the label and the mini quilt stand.

Tanya said...

I have a mini rack too but I don't do so well at changing the quilts very often. Still got a rabbit on it from Easter! Your label is so cute. I'm going to have to work harder at making nice labels.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...