- I'm happy to report that all you wonderful folks following my blog have reappeared on my sidebar, after being missing for several days. Thank you for coming back!
- My SIL came over the other day to look at some furs we have that came from great-grandmothers on both sides of the family. She knew the brown stole was mink and the collar on the black cashmere sweater was fox. There was also an ermine detachable collar that came from a sweater no longer around. The black sheared stole she could not positively identify but thought it was either rabbit or beaver. Luckily she pronounced all in good condition but said they should probably be glazed. Gee, that sounds expensive!
- Traffic rant: In our city we have several marked crosswalks that have embedded lights in the street activated by pedestrians pushing a button. These are at really busy intersections with poor visibility and high traffic of both the foot and auto types. The other day I was following a car that drove straight through the blinking lights and was passed by another vehicle doing the same from the opposite direction. Good thing the pedestrian waited or he would have been toast. STOP for pedestrians, people--it is the law!
- On Sunday, Bride to Be Elaine and I went to look for veil making materials. We ended up spending quite a bit of time at two different JoAnn's stores finding all sorts of wedding things. We have taught our kids well and they are bargain shoppers--Elaine picked up deals in the scrapbooking aisle and also hit the clearance section. The first JoAnn's did not have enough of the trim we selected for the veil, plus there was a broken spot where the trim was twisting. A very helpful young male clerk at the cutting table called and had it put on hold at another store for us. I asked him how many times a day he is questioned if he sews. He said, "As many customers as I wait on in a day", and the answer is yes, he sews, but not often.
- At the second JoAnn's, the price of the trim was $2.00 more per yard--totaling $14.99 per yard. I mentioned the other store's price and the cutting clerk reduced it for us. Yay! Plus I had a 50% off coupon, so we got 4.5 yards of beaded trim for around $30. It should only take me 4-5 hours to sew it all on by hand...
- My resolve to exercise more has played out poorly, but on Sunday morning walk I did, for 45 minutes around my neighborhood. I took pics though it was overcast and not very good for photography. This used to be a church--I took ballet lessons in the basement there when I was little--and it was brown before the Buddhists took it over a few years ago.
It was a bit shocking when they first painted it this deep ochre and red. I think the Buddha head plaque to the right of those carved doors is beautiful, so I took a closeup.
It's a little blurry in my extreme closeup but reads "Temple Parking Only". Not sure why, really, but this sign cracked me up!