Saturday, November 5, 2011

Working on it

The wedding quilt, that is.  I had figured up all the MATH a couple of weeks ago for the pieced backing and early last night got half the backing sewn together before making a big mistake:  I sat down on the couch in front of the TV.  Then I was cold so I put a quilt over me, which led to vegging out in front of my favorite game show, Wipeout.  Two hours later, it was getting late and no more sewing had been done.  But I was back to it today.

MATH and cutting instructions for the two different flannels going on the back of the quilt.  Elaine and Chris are crazy for their Boston Terrier, Scully, so I thought the paw prints were appropriate.


I purchased this batting at my local quilt store, primarily because it is lighter weight than cotton and can be quilted up to 12" apart.  It is my intention to use only the organic shape of a ginkgo leaf and not have to do any straight line quilting. Anyone have experience with this brand?  It is a favorite of the quilt shop owner.

I picked up a few sample ginkgo leaves from my front yard, blown in from the neighbor's tree across the street.  I like the "split" ones the best but the fan shape is also pleasing. I may just be able to free motion them all instead of my original plan of drawing them on freezer paper.  Or I may start with a few freezer paper ones just to get into a rhythm.  My quilting method is generally ITIS  (I'll Try It & See).  My seam ripper will probably see some action either way!


7 comments:

Stephanie D said...

I think the ginkgo leaves are lovely! Can't wait to see how you do them.

Kate said...

The ginko leaves will look great. Obviously you were "wiped out" last night. Some times that's actually for the best! Less seam ripping that way.

loulee said...

I've used dream green on a number of occasions. It's not a cosy as cotton batting and doesn't shrink when washed. But that said I do like it, I find it behaves perfectly while quilting.

Shay said...

Good Luck with that quilting.Im sure you'll do a fabulous job!

Denise :) said...

I adore ginkgo trees -- I can't wait to see your final quilting on this!! Have fun with it, Annie! :)

Karmen said...

Good plans; that's going to be a wonderful quilt. Karmen

scraphappy said...

What lovely quilting inspiration. The quilt I just finished used batting from recycled bottles, though it was a different brand. It felt like polyester, stretchier and poufier than cotton. I think I'll go back to my favorite 80/20 blend next time.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...