Monday, November 7, 2011

Design Wall Monday--Nov 7, 2011

It's been a couple weeks since I last had something on my design surface to post.  Happy to be back!  I've been working on my version of Flowers for Nana Girl from Scrap Basket Sensations by Kim Brackett as a leader-ender project.  This is a quilt for another co-worker who is studying to become a nurse while working two part time jobs.  Yellow is her favorite color. All the blocks are complete and I'm working on the sashing.

The pink block is the "heart" of the quilt.  I used this same idea in the other Scrap Basket quilt I made for my Uncle Tommy, Kitchen Sink, seen here.

The sashing forms leaves, and kind of a friendship star where the leaves meet.  I like that a lot.

A narrow border of solid yellow will go on and then a border of this green calico, which once graced the walls of my girls' bedroom as fabric wallpaper applied with starch.  Guess I better make sure it gets washed!  The green for the leaves and the calico have been leftovers in my stash a long time.  I'm happy to move them into a quilt that will be loved!  See more design walls on Judy's Patchwork Times

17 comments:

Denise :) said...

Oh Annie, this quilt is beautiful! I love the happy, sunny little yellows! :)

loulee said...

Oooh! I like that, especially the heart idea.

Stephanie D said...

What a cheerful quilt! Love the pink heart idea.

carol fun said...

Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE this one!! I am definitely making one like this for me -- thanks for inspriring me!

Julie Kaye from KS said...

Your quilt is going to be wonderful. She'll love it.

Rhonda said...

This is going to be beautiful Annie. : )

Darlene said...

Oh, I love it - love the touch of pink! She's going to love it, too.

Shay said...

Oooh love those yellows. It's like a burst of sunshine!

Marg said...

This is going to be very pretty, love the yellows and the pink heart idea.

Kate said...

So pretty! I like the pink heart idea. Looks like the leaders and enders technique worked out well for you.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Oh, I love the heart of the quilt pink block. The wonderful shades of yellow sparkle with that pink block in there :)

Vicki H. said...

Love this quilt and the sashing is brilliant. Great fabrics and I love the pink block too.

Vivian said...

How sweet of you to make this for someone who's working so hard at keeping up with life. The pink block is a wonderful, special part of it. You have a generous spirit, making it for her.
Love the yellows you chose. This one is definitely on my bucket list (along with a few dozen others). So many quilts, so little time. Doggone work gets in the way.

Candace said...

Love this block, Annie - and the fabric is perfect!
Cheers!

Browndirtcottage said...

I love the 'story/reasoning' behind this quilt!! The pink block is such a great idea for being the heart of the quilt! I.LIKE.

Michelle said...

Oooh! I love it with the yellow fabrics. Gotta figure out where my copy of the book went to...

Jeanne said...

What a cute quilt this will be! Your friend will love it.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...