- My mother in law's senior place had a luau over the weekend. Pacific island music and dancers provided entertainment. The lady singer kept trying to get us to sing along but there wasn't much enthusiasm--we were too busy eating and talking. She tried "Tiny Bubbles" and other standards, then said the next song we would all know. The music began and she sang the opening line, "C and H (C and H)...Pure cane sugar (pure cane sugar)...From Hawaii (from Hawaii)..." Smiles ensued and we did know the words to that old jingle.
One of many costume changes!
- Traffic Rant: A young dude in a large, lifted, loud truck pulled up behind me in the drive-thru lane. He gunned his engine several times as he needlessly creeped as close as he possibly could to my rear bumper, then grinned at me as he saw my irritation at his obnoxiousness. Jerk!
- Grant was away all weekend on an annual jaunt to Del Mar (near San Diego) with his four oldest and best buddies. They surfed, swam, sunned, watched the ponies, yakked and laughed. He came home smiling and relaxed. Loved that!
- My daughter's salon held a fundraiser for one of her co-workers who was diagnosed with breast cancer necessitating mastectomy, and just recently had to have a hysterectomy as well. She's a married mother of two who has weathered with incredible positivity the difficulties of the year. The turnout was amazing--when I got there at 5 pm the lines were several deep everywhere. Elaine texted me afterward that the preliminary total raised in six hours was $9,000. Wow!
- Someone is turning 27 today.
Nick, age 6
Happy Birthday to the boy who has never lost his sweetness. Love you to pieces, Nick!