Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What I'm Working On Wednesday

I'm having a lot of fun playing with leftovers, scraps, and ideas from the pages of magazines.

When I made Kitchen Sink last year (Kim Brackett's Scrap Basket Surprises), I cut a lot of extra pieces since I was considering making it larger than the pattern required.  In the end, I simply added a wider border.  With the leftovers, a 9 paddle wheel layout was my choice and, serendipitously, I had just the right amount of leftover cut print pieces and exactly enough triangles to fit the setting I had decided on.  Gotta love that! 

This is about 24 inches square--no borders on this one.  I've got the backing there and already picked out prints from the 2.5" strip bin for a scrappy binding. 

Leftover orange and blue squares from a Quilts for Kids project, a few bright Aussie prints from a 6" precut pack I bought on my trip to Queensland, some leftover flannel, and a small cuddle quilt is born.  I will sell this at the crafter's shoppe. 

These prints are from a jelly roll I bought at Tuesday Morning for a song--I'll get at least three more cuddle quilts out of it.  This setting idea was from a Quilts and More magazine from a few years ago.  Quick and easy.  Enjoying myself immensely, and ideas are teeming for more scrappy fun with leftovers! 

What are you working on?

13 comments:

Janet O. said...

That R/W/B quilt is a real winner! Very nice.

Nancy said...

I love the Paddle Wheel blocks. Isn't it fun when something comes together so nicely?

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

R,W, & B (together) are my favorite colors... our wedding in 1975 was R,W & B and I'm still loving the colors! Your scrappy success is inspiring.

Michele said...

Love your leftover projects! They certainly don't look like leftovers, they look like that's exactly what you planned all along :-)

Abby and Stephanie said...

I have an old book with a complicated way to made a paddle wheel. I never figured it out. These look simple! Love the happy colors in your scrappy kid's quilts. Kid/baby quilts are one of my favorite things to make.

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

I have that whole Kitchen Sink quilt cut out and waiting as a UFO - I forgot all about it, sigh. One more thing on my list but your left overs make me feel like tackling it again.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

what a great idea, tossing several quilt leftovers together in some kids quilts! I really love those paddle wheels!

glen

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

what a great idea, tossing several quilt leftovers together in some kids quilts! I really love those paddle wheels!

glen

Pokey said...

What fun, some little finishes! I need to work on a few smaller pieces for a change...the kitchen sink is my favorite here!
:-}pokey

Kate said...

Great projects. I really like your paddle wheel project.

One Minnesota Quilter said...

Love all you little projects and how you are making use of your leftovers.

Did Bear ever get his shorts? ;)

Judy

Joyful Quilter said...

Love your left overs quilt! Okay, I love anything on point, but really love yours (the blue outer setting triangles are perfect). Your cuddle quilts are also very cute.

Nanette Merrill said...

I really love those pinwheels.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...