Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ongoing GID

Although yesterday was supposed to include a trip to the Getty Center with my mom and visiting Cousin Florence, somehow I tweaked my back/hip and had to cancel.  I think it happened the night before, when I was simultaneously trying to lift and lower a  heavy pillow to the floor while twisting, balanced on my other elbow, and scooting back under the covers.  Bad idea.  As sitting and bending were painful and I didn't want to spend the day in bed, standing was all that was left if I wanted to get anything done.  So I set up the light box on my raised cutting table and got to tracing the wool applique blocks for the Greenpiece BOM that is on the Getting it Done challenge list.

On the GID list I wanted to get at least four designs traced, but since I was already doing the job, I finished the remaining 18 blocks' worth of tracing onto freezer paper.  Some of these pieces are tiny!  I'm doing the simpler ones first to build up my skills. 

I proceeded with the buttonhole stitching on the poor lonely butterfly block that has been prepped for awhile, followed by prep of the second block with Roxanne's glue.

I got as far last night as the background flower and two leaves on the second block.  I do enjoy this simple embroidery work! These pics were taken with my new smartphone since my dumbphone stopped working suddenly and had to be replaced.  The camera is very good and I'll enjoy using it, especially for the closeups that my regular point-and-shoot did poorly.  That will also mean one less thing to carry in my purse!  Today my back/hip is better and I plan to attack my sewing room redo.  I'm hoping for a less cluttered look and better organization at the end of the next few days. 

8 comments:

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

Sorry to hear about your back but you did put the 'down' time to good use. Love the look of that wool applique so much simpler too than needle turn it seems to me.

Lorraine said...

Oh....sorry you had to miss going to the Getty.....my visit there with you was one of the highlights of my trip! But you managed to be productive and are making good progress on your GID list!

Janet O. said...

You just can't keep a good woman down! : )
The applique is looking good.
And I want to know the secrets after you get the less cluttered look in your sewing room!

Libby said...

Hope you are feeling right again soon. In the meantime, what a great way to make lemonade out of lemons!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I've done my back in a few times and just know about the pain. Feel well soon and I love that you did not let it stop your creativity!

Kate said...

Hope the back is doing much better. Love the applique blocks, especially the butterfly!

Candace said...

I can certainly sympathize with the back/hip thing, Annie! But I say it never gets a true quilter down! I love your blocks - they are adorable! Feel Better soon!
Cheers!

McIrish Annie said...

sorry about your back! but yeah@! you got your blocks prepped.

I have a dumbphone. thinking about getting a smartphone. are they hard to use? did you go apple or android?

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...