Monday, May 8, 2017

Design Wall Monday--5/8/17

On my design surface today is the Patchwork Times UFO Challenge pick for May, #11.  I am cutting pieces from four different project boxes for this UFO, one per week this month.  Box #1 is done!

Here are all the fabrics for the top of the quilt.  The pattern is a Darlene Zimmerman design that came in an advertisement from APQ mag.  Very simple strips and squares for a small lap quilt.  Backing will be constructed from the leftover fat quarters and yardage.  I'll look forward to pulling this out to sew later in the year. 

The next box I chose was Jewels in the Curio.  This is a Moda Bakeshop pattern by Jo Kramer  of Jo's Country Junction blog.  She and her daughter have designed a lot of patterns for scrappy quilts and are devoted Bonnie Hunter fans. 

My parents bought me the Civil War Homefront jelly roll years ago and I have petted and cherished it but now it needs to be in a quilt.  Charm squares and strips from stash will add variety.  I plan to make this quilt the pattern's size, but my neutral will be scrappy. 

Here are a few pulled so far.  I have another one yard piece to add and will probably throw in a few more as I cut, depending on how far these go.  I will use my Accuquilt GO cutter for the 2.5" strips called for.  The pattern's  block is Jewel Box and I made a quilt a few years ago that I gave to my then boss when he closed his practice.  I love the barn raising setting; mine was offset for my boss.  His daughter claimed it almost immediately, he told me :) One of the pictures I posted early in the layout design process for that quilt has been pinned hundreds of times on Pinterest, but it wasn't the barn raising one!  I'll look forward to stitching this up later in the year. 

See more Design Walls on Judy's Patchwork Times.

5 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

I love your UFO pick! Way to get yourself very organized. I don't even know what mine is for this month. Vacation makes your brain forget things. :)
I looked at Jo's design and bookmarked it for a future quilt.
LOVE your neutrals!
Can't wait to see more.

Janet O. said...

I think I have that same pattern from the APQ ad. Always intend to make it, but have yet to start.
Beautiful CW fabrics. I love Jewel Box quilts. Can't wait to see this one.

loulee said...

I remember your jewel box quilt, so bright and pretty. This one will have quite a different feel to it with the change of fabrics.

Tanya said...

Your Jelly Roll with be very pretty with all your nice neutrals. I need to start on some major quilt. It seems like all I do are small armchair projects lately.

Karen said...

You seem to be a very organized quilter.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...