Thursday, May 4, 2017

Cutting and Stitching

Judy of Patchwork Times chose #11 for the UFO Challenge project of the month.  On my list that is Projects in Boxes, collected fabrics and patterns that have languished unfinished in boxes for years.  I chose four boxes and my plan is to work on one a week, prepping and cutting all the fabrics for blocks and sashing, etc, for future piecing.  This week's box is full of Aussie fabrics I bought on my wonderful vacation in 2009 visiting my friend Sue in Port Douglas, Queensland, "where the rainforest meets the reef", to attend her wedding at their home. 

These were precut 6" squares purchased at a patchwork shop in Cairns.  We visited a couple of shops there and I bought fat quarters and some 1/3 yard cuts (or whatever the metric equivalent is!).

Love this one with native Australian fauna and Uluru rock.  The pattern I'm using has 4" squares with 2" sashing and cornerstones so I'll have a great deal of cutting to do.  When I was removing this box from my Hoosier cabinet, a stitchery kit was on top of the box which I don't think I've shown before. 

Designer Lolita Newman of Stitchin by the River was vending at the Camarillo Quilt Guild show last fall and my sister and I were taken by her simple stitcheries that were very evocative, depicting Black history such as slave quarters, Black Civil War soldiers, and other memorable scenes that she researches and sketches. Not being a stitcher, my sister  Kathy bought me this pattern to stitch for her, and I purchased the muslin at the Road to California show (being too lazy to make my own tea dyed muslin!).  I'll look forward to tracing and stitching the Slave Quarters design and making a mini quilt.  My photo is poor but here is a link to her Etsy shop.

I'm off to press and cut...
 

4 comments:

Janet O. said...

I didn't know you had ever been to Australia. What a grand adventure! You brought back some great fabrics.
Years ago they used to have a big heritage festival at a local living history center. Part of the event included reenactment of some civil war battles involving the "Buffalo Soldiers". They brought in a group that reenacts the Buffalo Soldiers parts and it was fascinating to learn about the role they played in the war.
That is a lot of stitching in that piece. What a good sister you are. : )

Kate said...

Oh, you've got some fun fabrics from that trip. Sounds like a great plan to cut and prep. You'll have some great finishes later this year.

Karen said...

I had some Australian style fabrics a long time ago. I don't remember how I used them. I like what you have in your stash.

Barb said...

great aboriginal fabrics! Can't wait to see the finished quilt.
good luck with your UFOs

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...