Monday, June 11, 2018

Design Wall Monday--June 11, 2018

Same old, same old from this design floor!  But Narragansett Blues (in Browns) is a finished top at last.

Since I simplified the border of Bonnie Hunter's design by using strips, the corners worked out differently, but I'm not too fussed about it in this very busy quilt.

I chose to highlight the dark/light of the patchwork by making the center square a light in the 9 patches that made up the corners of the outer border. I don't think anyone will notice the break in the alternate design...do you?

Keeping up the momentum, I immediately set about constructing a backing.  The top came out 64x88" unfinished and I pulled more brown yardage to cobble together.  

Both of these fabrics have lingered in the stash for too long.  The Thimbleberries print on the right I have had for more than 5 years.  The brown in the background never matched anything I tried to put it with before, and the block print on the left I couldn't make work into something sizable enough to complement the print since I only had a yard of it.  No matter, they joined another bunch of leftovers to make themselves useful!
Scrappy and make-do are the name of the game for this quilt.  My sister has got her long-arm machine working but still is having some tension problems.  I'm hoping to put this big quilt on it and do a simple design.  The binding fabric I also picked out and will get that together soon. 

See more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

DH Grant was on vacation last week and we marked his final morning off  Sunday with breakfast out with our daughters, son-in-law, and grandsons.  
 Hunter (2) tried on Papa's sunglasses.  They matched his Tshirt saying well, I think!


Cove (4) drew a picture of Papa and was concentrating on copying Papa's name on the drawing, as his mama had written.  The next generations headed off to Target and the beach after breakfast and I got a few pics later on Instagram of the beautiful day they were having.  This week should be perfect summer weather--it is the last week of school for our district, many other cities in the County have already had their graduation ceremonies.  The ocean still looks full, despite our severe drought status!

13 comments:

AnnieO said...

Comment follow up

julieQ said...

Gorgeous!!! I love your browns, with those little pops of color too!

Julierose said...

Your little ones are SO adorable--such cuties.
I really like how your brown quilt came out...and I think your choice of border looks great...those tumbling blocks are just beautiful--super work hugs, Julierose

Rebecca Grace said...

Your quilt top looks beautiful! I love the bright colors against the warm browns. I was crawling around on a "design floor" too this weekend. My knees are still mad at me. :-) I hope you and your sister get your tension kinks worked out so you can enjoy that longarm soon! What kind of machine is it? There are a lot of great tips and tutorials for longarm tension online. I have links to all of my favorite tutorials for new longarm quilters in this blog post: http://cheekycognoscenti.blogspot.com/2018/01/behold-southern-blizzard-snowed-in-with.html Maybe one of them will help your sister with her tension troubles?

eileen said...

Really pretty in browns!! I like the corners, looking good.

Ellie said...

Very pretty quilt! Nice for cuddling!

Judy D in WA said...

I love your quilt top and back. Use it up is my mantra too. Your grandsons are growing so fast. I love when the littles are learning to print. It's so fun.

Kate said...

Congrats on all the progress! The top turned out beautifully and what a great way to use up those hard to place fabric on the back. Good luck with the quilting and binding. The grand boys have certainly grown! Why does that happen so fast?

Louise said...

Such cute little guys! They sure love their Papa! Those brown pieces have been waiting in your stash all this time so they could be just the right scrappy back for Narragansett. They are fulfilling their destiny well :)
louise dot hornor at gmail

loulee said...

Wow, that is a very busy quilt top, but it is wonderful, you have so many memories sewn up in all those little pieces. The scrappy back is great too.

Janet O. said...

Loving the scrap quilt, and the cobbled back. I see no problem with your corner layout.
Oh, those handsome young men are certainly growing up!

Preeti said...

Good looks and amazing concentration - these boys are a charming duo. You are one lucky grandma. Your Narragansett Blues (in Browns) will make a warm and lovely quilt.

Tanya said...

Fantastic quilt! Who will be the lucky person to get this one! It is wonderful!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...