I had a container of precut 2.5" squares, mostly green prints but also some solids, and laid them out with the "garlic knot" shape as I used in grandson Hunter's quilt.
The final layout included more white and some knots turned the other way. I can't say when these squares will get sewn together but they were fun to play with. It's almost looking mid-century inspired, to me.
The upcoming County Fair is upmost on my mind. As usual, I'll be working up to the last minute to get my projects done. #1 task was to get my Metro Twist quilt ready for quilting. I made a quick trip to the fabric store last weekend for thread and spray baste, and got the sandwich made on Thursday. It seems I got more spray baste on my fingernails than anywhere else, but the sandwich did get made before work. Saturday morning I got my machine all set up for quilting and started in.
Metro Twist is a pattern using the QCR ruler from Sew Kind of Wonderful. The neon orange was from a guild challenge a couple of years ago. I stitched in orange abutting the print pieces, then switched to gray to stitch 1/4" inside the curved pieces. I decided to quilt straight lines in the background and marked them with my Hera marker and a ruler.
I plan to round all the corners with the QCR ruler and bind with a bias cut purple binding. The entries are due next Sunday so I've got a lot of work yet to to. This quilt finishes at about 45x48", so about a baby or wall size. I have a bunch of threads to bury, binding to cut, make and apply,hanging sleeve and label to add.
We had a family barbecue Sunday and I enlisted daughter Erica to help me with border choices for the Yarn Over mini charm pack runner. I want to enter it as well in the Fair.
She liked the brown print with the green linen. I hope I have enough of the linen to make a matching binding. Another not-yet-finished piece is Sue goes to the Orient. I have dragged my feet for months adding some embroidered detail to the background, but finally got some lanterns traced to quickly stitch up.
I thought Sue looked like she was in a doorway, so needed something behind her. I'll backstitch the lanterns in black floss, then make a mini quilt. If I can manage it, I'll finish the binding on three remaining placemats---I've got the binding stitched to the fronts and pinned to ditch stitch. Oh, and if there is any time left, I want to make a pillow out of the Broken Dishes blocks I sewed up some weeks ago. Wish me luck!
Blogger is not sending me comments through email despite going through several steps to regain this feature, so I will try leaving the first comment again on this post.