Friday, September 7, 2018

Three for September: Garden Pinwheel Top Finish

Three for September:  a WIP is chosen and worked on for three days, all month.  

Late last night I carefully toted the Garden Pinwheel quilt top to the ironing board to fuse down the leaves on the border.  I only lost one leaf, which was a thin fabric that didn't want to stick, but fused just fine once I found it under the ironing board!
If you can tell, I decided to graduate down to the smaller leaves from the corners.  The applique really adds a lot to the simple patchwork, I think. 

Lots of green scrappy leaves in all shades. Oh, I am so happy I didn't abandon this idea in favor of a finish years ago!  The top was placed back on the hanger with the backing and binding and hopefully it will come out to play again before the end of the year.   I have plenty of green threads to chose from when it comes time to stitch down the edges with a fancy stitch. 

The next Three for September WIP is going to be a two-fer.  I've been making square-in-square blocks for several years, and after an hour of playing layout on the floor, am nearing the total I need for my self-drafted quilt plan, originally inspired by Edyta Sitar's Go Four It project from APQ magazine in 2015. My blocks are 3.5" unfinished; hers were much tinier as she started with 1.25" squares for her four patches. 


I am going to keep sewing the triangles to my four patches as leader-enders while I finish assembling the rows and top for the Jewels in the Curio quilt (a Moda Bakeshop pattern).  I have another five rows to assemble for the 8x8 setting.  Cutting and assembling the borders may follow before the three days are up.
Now I've got to get out of the house for a few errands, there are more Thomas Fire Quilts to give away and they need binding. A VERY generous long arm quilter has just returned 12 quilts she did for our guild project.  They are tagged for recipients so need to be finished right away.  I'm off to Superbuzzy!

4 comments:

Janet O. said...

Garden Pinwheel turned out beautifully!
I am very interested to see what you do with the 4-patch in a square blocks.
Jewel in the Curio is a great scrap quilt! Your 3 day plan really seems to be working for you!

Joyful Quilter said...

Looks like you are going to be very busy in September. Love all your projects - Jacob's Ladder is my all-time fav block. It is so versatile.

Kate said...

Those leaves are exactly the right border finish. It's going to be a beautiful finish when you get to that point. You've been doing a great job of making those 3 days count. Good luck with what you've got picked for the next 3 days.

Loris said...

Lovely design with the leaf border! You are making some great progress! I'm not moving very fast but I'm pleased that I have been able to make quilts completely out of my stash or PIGs lately. Actually using what I have is pretty exciting! :-)

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...