Thursday, September 6, 2018

Three for September: Garden Pinwheel update

Three for September:  I'm choosing a different WIP to move along every third day this month. Today is the third day for the Garden Pinwheel quilt.  Last night I prepped more leaves for the borders and did a rough layout on the quilt.


 Purely serendipity that a 9" strip for two of the larger leaves exactly fit the width of Steam a Seam2 sheets.  Gotta love that. 

Here is a closeup of the fabrics that make up the pinwheels and "stripes".  I love the scrappy look.


I think I prefer the partial border but will make it extend to halfway down the side.  This was all the leaves I had  cut by last night. I will frame two opposing corners as in the inspiration design. 

Of course I was closely supervised by the QC Cat, Mini.  She helpfully secured the pattern to the floor.  This free pattern was an insert from a 2008 (!) McCall's Quilting Magazine offer.  It is called Summer at Mom's and a quick online search shows it is available as a digital download from The Quilting Company.com.  The bright green HST border is very pretty but I will not be adding that, particularly since I already made the backing and binding.  

Lots more leaves were prepped this morning with the Accuquilt GO cutter, and I will fuse them down before the end of the night in my final layout.  My finishing plan is to assemble the quilt sandwich and quilt with a fancy stitch around the leaves, but that will occur at a later date.  I'm hoping it will turn out as nicely as I see it in my head!  

Then it will be time to choose another WIP to work on for the next three days :)

6 comments:

AnnieO said...

send to email

Dawn said...

Nice quilt! The leaves are the perfect border.

Janet O. said...

I love the purple and green combo.
I just got a pretty pattern in a quilt magazine offer in today's mail. Unlike you, I will probably never get it made. :)
That leafy border is a very nice finish.

Kate said...

Those leaves make a very nice border. It's going to be a gorgeous quilt. Congrats on all the progress!

Julierose said...

Nice idea for that 3-day schedule to work on various WIPS ;))) I love your leafy border...really adds so much to an already lovely piece.
hugs, Julierose

Louise said...

It's looking great! It would be hard for me to stop after three days and move on to something else. Are you allowed to just keep going if the mood strikes? :)

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...