Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Three for September Report

An update on this experiment, working on one project for three days and then switching to another every three days through the month of September.  I started with some placemats that were in progress and am happy to say I finished them on the third day.  In the 11th hour, but finished!  The green photographs very dull but is actually a brighter shade. 

I had just barely enough of the aqua floral binding for the four placemats.  In fact, I was short until I remembered to look in the 2.5" precut scrap drawer and found a 12" piece to add to finish the last placemat!

The back is finished to make them reversible.  My newlywed nephew and his wife hopefully will enjoy using these placemats in their apartment.  I got their address today as part of the tasks associated with the project :)

I perused the remaining list of 9 WIPs and decided on an oldie but goodie for the next three days.  It appears this poor quilt has not made an appearance on the blog since 2012.  Sheesh. It has been aging a long while in the coat closet.

I made these pinwheels with cutoffs from the Rick Rack Road quilt, way back in 2011, and made the big HSTs to form diagonal stripes.  The borders have been awaiting a detail of leaves ever since.  I have had a pile of green fabrics set aside for years, and plan to back them with fusible web and use my GO! cutter to die cut the leaves, then use a fancy stitch around the edges after fusing them on, like so:


I saw this detail on a quilt at a local guild show in 2013 and liked the impression of a vine without having to mess with bias strips.  Getting the fabrics prepped and cut into leaves is the main task.  Since I work the next three days it may be all that gets done, and I will be happy with that. 

4 comments:

AnnieO said...

send to email

Janet O. said...

I guess I missed your last post while I was immersed in visiting family time, but I like you idea of 3 days on a project and then switching. It will be fun to see what gets accomplished. And what a great feeling to make progress on UFOs that have been "out of sight, out of mind".

Louise said...

3 days down, one project finished! Woo hoo! You're off to a great start :)

Kate said...

Sounds like you are making the 3 day approach work for you. I like you leaf border for the pinwheel quilt. Hope you got lots done on it. Congrats on finishing off the placemats.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...