Monday, January 21, 2019

Design Wall Monday, 1/21/19

It's Design Wall Monday.  See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  

I've got a priority quilt on my design floor today, which progressed quickly from parts to a top over the weekend.  I used a pattern/tutorial from Calamity Jane's Cottage blog* for this baby quilt, having  already selected 25 charm squares I wanted to use.  The background fabric strips were simple to cut and I chain pieced the blocks in a short time.  Sunday after a breakfast outing with our grandsons and their parents, I laid out the setting I wanted and completed the top. (* Firefox gives me a warning about this site so I am not linking to it.)

I'm happy with the green background mixing with the grays and blues in the squares.  The tutorial includes using 1/2 charms as a border, but I think I'm going to add a solid background border to have the squares float even more.  The first version of this quilt I made last month with a white background and no border, for a newborn baby, however this quilt is for an almost 1 year old so I want to make it a little bigger.  Backing and binding decisions to follow...

The next priority quilt is also bordered charm squares that will sew up just as easy, the Falling Charms quilt.  Missouri Quilt Company and Connie Kresin (Freemotion by the River) both have tutorials.  I have a lot of cutting to do of 2.5" strips with my Accuquilt GO! for that project.  I don't often use precuts but they sure can speed things up.

Sunday's beautiful sunrise was capped by the Super Blood Wolf Moon lunar eclipse after dark.  Grant and I stepped out back multiple times to watch the eclipse's progress.  It's very hard to photograph the moon, even when it is covered up, but I tried. 

This fuzzy ball looks a little orange!  We had a great view of the eclipse here in SoCal, and I also looked at the Live feed from Griffith Observatory.  I read the next lunar eclipse is not until 2021 but it won't be a Super Moon.  I'll likely watch that too!

7 comments:

Loris said...

I like your charm square quilt. The spacing in the blocks really makes for some modern visual interest and great that you can make it bigger.
The sunrise picture is beautiful! I'm amazed at these moments in the morning when the sun lights up such amazing colors. I missed the lunar eclipse but saw the moon setting this morning and tried to capture a picture of it. Very blurry though it looked crisp in the sky. My phone camera can only go so far. Ha!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That layout is very striking for those squares! It is very modern - I Like It!!

loulee said...

Your quilt top looks great. The placement of the squares really gives a sense of movement.

Janet O. said...

Nice baby quilt idea!
Gorgeous sunrise--love it with the palm trees. Not something I see around here.
I was out photographing the moon, too. It was tricky. I just have a simple camera and I tried all kinds of settings and never did it justice. Just as it reached the peak color, clouds moved in. Arrgh!

Louise said...

That's a great design for a baby quilt! I have one to make soon and might borrow this idea of charms just floating along :)

Kate said...

Wow, that quilt come together pretty quickly. Love the soft yellow green background. It was so cold here, we didn't even try to watch the eclipse.

Preeti said...

This looks lovely. Who knew this light pista background would work beautifully with blue, grey and orange?

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...