Friday, January 18, 2019

Rise Up and Planning

My doctor boss was out of the office on Monday and I feverishly sewed most of the day to get the Rise Up quilt top finished.  While the HSTs were all made, sewing them into rows was quite time intensive.  I used various parts of the Log Cabin Loonies blocks as leader-enders, pleased to be working on those again. 

I couldn't help myself, I had to make some single fabric arrows with the greens.  Can you spot all six?

Constructing the backing was frustrating as usual whenever cobbling together a lot of leftovers.  I had bought two 1 yard pieces of solid green, but naturally needed three.

At one point the backing was in timeout after a miscut. I had to retire to another room with caffeine and snacks until the backing decided to behave.  At guild, after show and tell, I handed the quilt off to my sister to longarm for me.  Meanwhile I will cut the binding and get it ready to apply before the end of the month deadline.  

It has been four weeks since my shingles outbreak and I'm feeling much better, even good enough to face the disaster of my cutting table scraps and clutter.  I sorted and discarded, filled a bag with strings and chunks to take to guild, and will shove the rest into the precut bins.  There was also a good look through the project bins and rewriting of the WIPS in this year's Bullet Journal.  


The list of 26 (!!) projects was in no particular order, but I do have some favorites and priorities on these pages--which are mostly quilts for  ME.  However, our guild is having a sew-in for baby quilts next month and there are a couple of good options for that from my list.  Primarily prepping fabric and cutting stands out for many of the projects.  Two quilts I "owe" as gifts are top of the list.  Quilt tops I've completed need scheduling time with my sister.  I know she wants me to get comfortable enough with her longarm machine not to need her there when I want to quilt; I'm not confident I'll ever be!

9 comments:

Joyful Quilter said...

Love the quilt and all of the greens (I found all 6). Looks like you are ready for St. Pat's Day. I have a pieced back I need to make and am avoiding it as much as possible as none of the pieces are the same length or width.

Janet O. said...

I had to look through the arrows about 3 times to find all six, but I did it. :) It is a striking design.
You are brave putting together a backing like that. I find if I have to use more than 3 or 4 pieces of fabric I lose my patience with it.
I am glad the shingles are subsiding. Nasty stuff! My Dad got them when he was 81 years old, and the pain never went away. Working in a doctor's office, you probably know all this. The older you are when you get them, the better chance you have of getting post herpetic neuralgia--the rash leaves but the pain doesn't. He lived with it for 12 years!!
Your bullet journal looks so efficient.

julieQ said...

I love your arrows...so fun! So scrappy...I saved your quilt to my favorites!!

Sherrill said...

Love the quilt!! Is it for someone special, a donation or... So sorry to hear you've been dealing with the shingles. I've had several friends that suffered with them and they sound absolutely awful. Hope they're totally gone real soon!

Loris said...

Fun quilt! It makes me want to mess with some HST's and make some arrows :-)
Our guild challenged us with the APQS listing of UFO's etc. I didn't take one of the blanks home but then started listing the projects I have waiting to do. Only a few UFO's but I freaked myself out with projects I have in closets, etc hoping to sew someday. Oh my :-O

Janet said...

The Rise Up quilt is lovely and I'm glad your backing decided to play nice with others . I think you got a lot of finshes this year.. well done. I am also in the process of tidying/purging/ organizing my sewing room and baby quilts to be donated to our local NICU are the first thing on my 2019 list. Glad the shingles are starting to go. Here in Ontario,Canada we are encouraged to get a "Shingles Shot" after 50 if we have had chicken pox. I had mine a couple of years ago. Perhaps this is available to you as well to protect you from a reoccurrence 😊

loulee said...

Love the green arrows.
Tidying up seems to be a bit of a theme at the moment.

Kate said...

Love the green arrows. Hope the backing behaved much better after it's time out. Taming the UFO list is never easy. Hope you can move a few to completion this year.

Tanya said...

You are going to be just in time for St. Patrick's Day with all the pretty greens!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...