Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Road2CA 2019

My sister and I headed down to Ontario over the weekend for a few hours to gaze at quilts and shop the vendors at the Road to California Quilt Show.  The layout was different this year and it seems we started at the end and made our way to the beginning of the exhibit spaces!  Kathy was trying out every longarm machine she could find and absorbing hints and problem solving techniques.  Meanwhile, I took pictures. 



This very cool portrait of a wolf named OR-7 caught my eye. 

An interesting story about the wolf in the portrait.

 I had to take a photo of this quilt, so realistic it looks like it belongs in my mom's art studio!




Next was a large quilt with a smile-inducing division..

...and description :)


I love this quilt made of all solids, very artfully combined in this design.  I have loved Lone Star quilts for decades and plan to make one someday. 

Nancy Rink is a quilt designer and a quick search of her website reveals kits for this quilt. We also loved the Cherrywood Fabric Prince challenge display, and were amazed at the dozens of quilts entered.  There was a good mix of modern and traditional quilts at the show, and so many vendors that were new to us.  We stayed until closing at 5:30.  Kathy commented that we had not seen a single person who knew us, so different from the QuiltCon show in Pasadena where many fellow guild members were attending!

My haul for the day included the Handsful of Scraps book by Edyta Sitar, who was vending at the show and I told her that we are residents of the same city.  She was very gracious and told us to keep in touch.  Unfortunately I did not get her to sign my book as she was just heading off with her very cute teen-aged son.   Her book also has a gorgeous Lone Star quilt pattern, very scrappy. 

I stocked up on plenty of green fat quarters and some 1/2 yard pieces, picked up the Jelly Roll Rug pattern and Latifah Saffir's Clammy template, some Aurifil thread, and a couple of Quilts of Valor block kits.  Biggest ticket item was the new walking foot with interchangeable feet for my Husqvarna Sapphire machine.   

I was curious about the QOV block instructions, a floating Ohio Star, and got into the kits.  Unfortunately the first kit's fabric strip was so badly curved as to make it impossible to cut the number of squares needed. Another kit's strip was short by 2" of the length for the number of background squares.   I pulled from stash and made up some extra block kits to stitch up. 


These are big blocks and fun to sew up.  I will make up a few more and get them mailed in.


5 comments:

Janet O. said...

You shared some great quilts! Some made me smile and some made me stare in awe.
Love Getting to Know Hue. I don't do much with solids, but quilts like that make me think I should.
You made a good haul!
Frustrating when you can't just get a kit and trust that everything you need is there. But I'm sure you didn't have too much trouble supplementing. :)

Janet said...

Looks like you had a fun time and got some great photos and "stuff". That new walking foot looks like an excellent addition to your sewing machine accessories.Please let us know how you like it 😊

Loris said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing the beautiful quilt pics. I hope to go to that show someday. Nancy's quilt is lovely!

loulee said...

Looks li,e a great day out.
What a shame the kitsch were not up to a good standard, nice save though.

Sherrill said...

Oops, I started a comment and hit a button accidentally!! I was saying I LOVE Edyta. Took a quilt cruise years ago and she along with Sandy Klop and Lynne (?) from Kansas Troubles were the teachers We had 3 classrooms full and the teachers rotated, each teaching a different project. Edyta's was the only one I finished and LOVE it! She's so cute.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...