It's Design Wall Monday again. See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Is is just me, or did January go by in a flash for everyone? Well, maybe not those stuck in the Polar Vortex...we've been getting plenty of rain and road closures due to flooding and mud flows from all the burn areas around here. The hills are green green green, so pretty to look at, but all the grass can become fuel for fires later.
I've been mowing down projects in my sewing room, trying to add stash fabrics to anything I can. The Moda Love Quilt quiltalong is going on now, and after making a layer cake sized Love quilt last year, I have wanted to try a different size, from a hoarded Bonnie and Camille Vintage Picnic charm pack. I spent a great deal of time pulling neutrals and stash additions for the quilt--it became abundantly clear that I tend to buy off whites and not many light print backgrounds!
The charm pack had a lot more aqua and I had to sprinkle it around some. I tried Bonnie Hunter's "webbing the top" method but had two blocks tangle and turn on me and had to take out seven seams to get them out of the red star center. Of course they couldn't be on the edge! This finishes at about 32" square so is nice wall quilt size. #modalovequilt
I played with leftovers from the QOV blocks and came up with these little paddlewheels and windmill, so fun to put together. I'll add this to the stack of blocks to mail in. The QOV info said that while they accept other quilts, the majority of Veterans chose a patriotic themed quilt, when given a choice.
Since passing off a baby quilt to my sister to longarm for me, I got out the next priority project box. I bought the charm packs and background fabric for this quilt probably two years ago--it is a long overdue gift for my son-in-law's mom and stepdad. I chose the Falling Charms Quilt from Missouri Star Quilt Co for this grouping:
The Maison de Provence charm packs were from Connecting Threads, as was a neutral background. Since I only ordered two charm packs of 28 squares each, I added stash fabrics to make up the 80 blocks for the 8x10 setting I want. There is a very good video on YouTube for the quilt. A jelly roll works but I cut the 2.5" strips with my Accuquilt GO cutter from yardage. The squares now all have the first background strip on, and I got a dozen or so blocks done with the L-shaped sashing.
Meanwhile, our younger daughter dropped a bridesmaid's dress alteration onto my list. She called around but no one could make her deadline of Wednesday to shorten the dress before she gets on a plane for a friend's wedding. So I'll be hemming a lot of chiffon and lining. Fussy stuff but not a fit problem. Erica laughed when she challenged me to find a matching thread for her mauve dress and I pulled out a perfect spool from the thread bins! Stash is a good thing...except when it gets overwhelming.