Sunday, March 10, 2019

Three for March--Aussie Feedsacks

I spent a lot of time in the sewing room Sunday, starting with laying out the next pick for Three for March; I'm working on a different project for three days at a time, all month.  I got right to laying out all my precut pieces of Australian flora and fauna.

So fun to see all these prints again.  There was very little switcheroo needed, surprisingly.

Once the sashing pieces were laid down, piecing commenced.  It made sense to me to join a sashing row with the larger squares in sets of two, then combine the sets. I started at the bottom, since that was the closest to my seat :)  The pieces are small, but sewing 12 seams each in the two rows and then the long seam joining them took some time.  

I stopped after eight rows.  All those seams sure shrank the quilt layout!  Everything came together easily and I didn't have to get my seam ripper out once.  I gathered up and labeled the remaining rows before going on to the next project.  There are two border rows to add once the center is complete.

While I had opened the swap pizza box I received this month at guild and read the person's guidelines, no fantastic ideas had struck the first time I looked at them.  Today, however, the description of liking the Boho look gave me a direction, with her gorgeous prints.  At Sewtopia I had won a free pattern, Elizabeth Hartman's Feathers.  Since this pattern required no templates or paper piecing, I got right to cutting and sewing.  The feather was longer than the 12.5" square block guideline, so needed to be set diagonally.  It took some playing and MATH to get the block to the right size, but I did manage it.  Does it look Boho enough?


My husband had no clue what this was.  I hope the pizza box's owner does!

Linking to Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts Design Wall Monday


4 comments:

Janet O. said...

The "feedsack" quilt is looking really good. Great progress!
Your feather looks like a good choice. Good thing it was you and not me trying to do the math to make it work!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

The feedsack quilt is looking good! I like the fabric in the feedsack and the feather block!

Kim said...

How delightful to see all those Australian fabrics in one quilt. Such a fabulous quilt! Your feather block certainly looks boho....how fun.

Louise said...

Yes! Very boho! And I love those Aussie fabrics. You've got some really fun things in progress, Annie :)

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...