Thursday, March 14, 2019

Three for March--#5 Pick

Unfortunately I was not able to get back to my Aussie Feedsacks, but they will again have their turn.  The next number picked yesterday was #3 on my list, Round Robin Star, from a challenge I joined at guild a few years ago--my first Round Robin ever.  

I started with the center star and four other members added their rows.  Being modern quilters, their ideas were nontraditional and fun.  I loved the use of the stripe in the arrow blocks and the feathers.  The leftover fabrics  I will use to make a back and binding.  I'm thinking this would make a great pillow and afford a quick finish.  The block is about 24" so it will be a big one.  My favorite method is an overlapping pillow back and binding to finish the edges, with an insert.  I was looking on Crazy Mom Quilts' blog--she always made a ton of pillows and has a good tutorial for making your own insert.  I will likely buy one.  Heck, I may buy a cheap ready-made throw pillow and stuff it in!

More interesting clouds this cold March--and it is very windy today, but supposed to be in the 70s and maybe 80 degrees over the weekend.  We have had a lot of rain and hope for a few more good storms to really break this drought.  Last year we only got 4 inches or so of rain, very dismal.


I stitched up this Improv style mini quilt-as-you-go for Guild.  We have been offered a sales table at Craftcation and a chance for attendees to meet some guild members.  I have never taken any classes--they sell out so fast and are usually during the day when I am working, but appreciate all the diverse classes that are offered.  Our current guild president has volunteered at Craftcation for several years and gotten to take free classes as a result.  She's had a blast trying out so many different types, weaving, sewing, stamping, etc.  

Okay, gotta get going, have dentist appt followed by work followed by subbing in for Bunco tonight.  As of yesterday when I left work, there were only three patients on the schedule for this afternoon.  I may get plenty of down time :)  My doctor boss has announced that starting in May he will not be working Fridays any longer.  The PA who shares our office has offered to have me scribe for him on Fridays so I can keep my full-time status and qualify for insurance.   I also fill in for other scribes on vacation, picking up hours now and then, all good. 

2 comments:

Kate said...

You've been moving along with your projects this month. Love your improv block, it will make a very bright and fun pillow. Good luck on the rest of your projects this month.

Janet O. said...

I admire your ability to hop back and forth between traditional and modern designs. I would be totally lost in something like that Round Robin challenge, but I like the look of what you received. Really like those feathers!
This year we are getting much needed relief from recent drought--hope you do, too!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...