Sunday, March 10, 2019

Three for March--Sanctuary Panel Quilt Progress, and Next Pick

Saturday was the final day for the Sanctuary Panel in my Three for March self-challenge.  We went to grandson Cove's opening day Tball game in the morning before I set to work on the quilting.

Yep, looks like the glove fits!  Watching 4-5-6 year olds play baseball is very entertaining.  We had a beautiful day for it, too. 
Lots of interesting clouds, though when they took their time passing the sun everyone had to put a sweater or jacket on, then take it off when the sun came back out.  Cove was the clean-up batter so got to run the bases at the end. He played catcher for one inning too.  Mama and Dada had a meeting with some folks at their place, so we had the boys for a couple more hours at our house.  Cove was taking requests at the piano, and Hunter picked up riders in the school bus.  

Afterwards, I got to work pulling fabric for backing and scrounged around in the overflowing batting bin for a piece large enough.  I ended up making a Frankenbatt from cutoffs, which of course takes lots of extra time, especially when you have to stop and wind a bobbin in the middle. 
I used my Hera marking tool and stopped and started the crosshatch through the appliques. 

We had a speaker at guild last month, Dora Cary from Orange Dot Quilts, who told us that she hates basting and had learned a way to not use pins or "one drop of glue" on her quilts.  I tried her method, layering the backing, batting and top as usual, and then smoothing with my hands on both sides.  Then I loosely folded up the quilt, and let it rest for a few minutes.  The cotton batting stuck to both sides and, though I used a pin in each corner to keep it straight, it did not wrinkle at all!  So time-saving not to have to stop and take out pins or use spray baste outdoors. 
There is still one long line of quilting to do, and quilting around the appliques, since I had to spend time doing all that piecing, but I am so happy to have this out of the plastic bag it has lived in so long!  

The next pick for Three for March is not quite as elderly as Sanctuary, but still old.  I went to Australia for my friend "Sue's wedding in November 2009, and bought a bunch of Aussie themed fabrics for a quilt.  #2 on my list is Aussie Feedpatches. Last seen on the blog over a year ago, I had cut the pieces for the quilt and packed them all up in the box. 
This free pattern came from an insert in an APQ subscription offer, and the simple design I thought will work well for these fabrics.  Since  I already have the pieces cut, it is ready to lay out and sew!  Hope to have a finished top in three days.  

Meanwhile, I have a block to make for a guild exchange as well.  Better get to it!

4 comments:

loulee said...

Your quilting looks great, the straight lines work well. This very busy piece seems tamer somehow now it is finished.
Good luck with your Aussie fabrics.

Janet said...

I think you are making great strides in your conquering of your UFO'S...
I have a couple I'm working on also..😊

McIrish Annie said...

You are really making lots of progress on these old projects. Very inspiring! Look forward to seeing the Australian project

Janet O. said...


So fun to watch little ones play sports. Our sons and grandsons primarily did soccer, which is affectionately referred to as "bunch ball" when they are little. The little kids don't know enough to play positions and they all just chase the ball and bunch up around it. :)
Your panel made up into a very sweet quilt with your applique finishing touches.
Interesting "no baste" method. I wonder if there is a limit as to how large a quilt you can manage that way?
Oh, I remember getting that pattern. It is a great one to use for featuring a collection of fabrics such as you have.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...