Friday, March 15, 2019

Three for March--Round Robin Star Progress

Today was the third day to work on the Round Robin Star.  I did a lot of sewing today after getting off  work at noon.  

My original thought, as I mentioned yesterday, was to make a pillow cover.  I got my backing fabrics ironed and then the quilt top and started to lay out the backing, but soon discovered a problem.  The quilt top was not square, and when pressed measured more than an inch longer than wide.  There was no good way to trim the quilt square so I changed gears to finish it as a wall quilt or table topper.  Once the binding was made and the backing was together, a Frankenbatt was constructed.  This time I didn't even bother putting on the walking foot--the three step zigzag stitch worked just fine with the regular foot to join the batting.  The no baste method was again tried with this small quilt, layering carefully and then smoothing the layers front and back.  Then I haphazardly folded it into a triangle-ish package and set it aside.  While the Round Robin quilt rested, I pieced a couple more rows of the Aussie Feedsacks top :)



This small quilt seemed a great place to try spiral quilting for the first time.  I used pink Aurifil thread and bravely started in the center marked with a pin.  It was not too hard to maneuver with the large harp of my sewing machine, and having the automatic presser foot lift meant I never had to take my hands off the quilt.  The stitching is not perfect but good enough. Round and round I stitched--it was quite mesmerizing, actually, watching the edge of the walking foot as I turned and turned the quilt. 


 I ran out of bobbin thread once, but the quilting took just about an hour to complete. 


I like it from the back, too! 


The straight-on shot looks good as well.  The binding will be the light teal solid fabric. So happy to have this several year old project out of its box.  Tomorrow morning I will draw the next Three for March project.

6 comments:

Janet O. said...

Way to go, Annie! I have always been too chicken to try the spiral quilting, but you did an incredible job. It works well on this quilt. WooHoo for another finish!!

Loris said...

That turned out lovely! The spiral quilting is the perfect compliment. Great way to spend your half day off from work :-)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love your Round Robin Star - and your spiral quilting looks great! I'll have to give that a try - ;))

Stephanie D said...

I'm not a modern quilter, but I have to admit I love this one! And your spiral quilting is awesome! Perfect for all those angles.

Quilter Kathy said...

That looks fabulous! Love the texture that the spiral quilting gives this treasure!

Kate said...

Beautifully done! Congrats on the finish.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...