Friday, March 8, 2019

Three for March--Sanctuary update

Happily, I had today off after working an extra half-shift for another scribe yesterday.  That gave me lots of time to putter with the layout of the appliques on the Sanctuary panel.  I sketched out a couple of placement options on graph paper and chose a simple layout.  The Steam-a-Seam had been on these pieces for a long time, but they did stick just enough for me to carefully lift the panel to the ironing board and get them fully adhered. 


So fun to get these pieces out of their baggies and onto a quilt!






The log cabin blocks are repeated in the panel.  I turned a few of the flowers to add interest.


Most of the fabrics for these appliques came from stash, some from the jelly roll strips of the same line.


I'd estimate a good hour or two to get all the applique pieces stitched.  I'm happy with the placement and hope the "missing man" formation doesn't look odd, as I decided against spending time foraging for more matching fabrics for another flower.  It is busy enough.  Next to find a backing and cut batting.  I'm going to quilt this one very simply around each flower block and probably meander in the open blocks.  

Had a fun visit with grandsons Cove and Hunter and daughter Elaine between ironing on the appliques and getting them stitched down.  The boys dug into the toybox, pounded on the piano, asked for snacks, tried to find the cat, and then needed lunch.  Thank goodness for a box of Star Wars mac and cheese.  We'll see them again tomorrow for Cove's T-ball game and take them out to lunch while their parents have an appointment.  Wonderful to live close and see them grow. 

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love the way you used the different elements in this quilt!!!!
Sure added pop to some rather plane blocks!

Janet O. said...

A very happy finish. If this quilt doesn't put you in the mood for Spring, nothing will!

Tanya said...

Wow! What a fun quilt! I never would have thought to add appliqué on top of log cabin blocks but it really adds so much interest! Lovely spring colors too!

Stephanie D said...

This is turning into quite an interesting quilt! What a great idea to add the applique!

We moved to VA 2 1/2 years ago to be close to our only child and grandchild, and don't regret it for a minute! She just turned 4, and I love being able to spend so much time with her.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...