Thursday, March 7, 2019

Three for March Update and Pick #3

As predicted, given the events of the week including a visitor, family birthday dinner out, and an after work hair appointment, I did not get much done on the Greenpiece project's three days. However, the project box has been returned to the sewing room and blocks needing embroidery are close at hand.  I will work on them when I am not at the sewing machine.  This morning I pulled another slip of paper out of the jar and it is #6, the Sanctuary panel.  I purchased this panel in 2007 at Jackman Fabrics in St. Louis, Missouri while visiting my sister when she lived there.


This is the from the Sanctuary line by 3 Sisters for Moda that I fell in love with in 2007.  Years ago I had cut out some appliques based on a quilt from APQ magazine February 2006 by the Piece O'Cake gals, Becky Goldsmith and Linda Jenkins.

 Linda Jenkins likes to hand applique.

This not the final layout, but I was sure I had made an equal number of the three flower designs and was missing one.  It took some digging through the old brain files to recall that I used one on another quilt.  I bought my very first jelly roll of this line, which I made into a quilt for Cousin Florence for her retirement from nursing in 2007, but didn't end up using the appliques on the front of the quilt. This was pre-blog, so I shared it later when we went to Cincinnati in 2011 to see the International Quilt Festival being held there for the first time. 


A very simple strippie quilt that I quilted myself with wavy lines.  Turns out that Florence favors blue more than yellow, purple, pink, and green, but she appreciated it all the same :) 

I simply used a tiny zig zag for the applique and think I will repeat the same stitch for the panel appliques.  I have leftover binding and jelly roll strips to use to finish it once quilted.  This quilt is destined for a sweet little girl.  First decision will be placement on the panel, then I'll get to stitching the appliques.

3 comments:

Joyful Quilter said...

Cute way to use a panel. Can't wait to see your three day progress.

Loris said...

I don't think I've seen this idea before with applique on the log cabin blocks. It looks great and its a very clever use of the panel!

Janet O. said...

This is a very pretty line of fabrics. I love the way you have chosen to applique those cute flowers onto the printed log cabin panel. That is going to be such a pretty effect!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...