Monday, June 3, 2019

Design Wall Monday--Central Coast Quilt Shop Tour

On my Design Floor is a small project started at a late hour.  My sister and I talked about doing the Central Coast Quilt Shop Tour but didn't finalize plans until late.  We were happy to be welcome to stay with longtime friends/neighbors overnight on Saturday at their new house. I rummaged through my box of Unfinished Small Projects and came across a baggie of pinned four patch blocks for a mini quilt  to give as a housewarming gift. 

It sewed up fairly quick and I snapped a pic to send my sister Kathy.  Mini performed QC but missed the twisted block ( now marked with an X).  Grr, the chain was broken.  I got the block unpicked and resewn and located an appropriate backing, however decided the wee hours were not a good time to attempt quilting.  It will be stitched up soon.

Our first stop was Superbuzzy in town on Friday night, where we plotted the next day's tour, deciding to start with the Old Town Quilt Shop in Orcutt. 

Someone made this great sign with all the shops for a photo op.  Somehow it looks like we are in the back seat and no one is driving this car, haha.  Kathy downloaded an app that supposedly planned the route but the amount of colorful euphemisms from Kathy that this program created provided me more entertainment than help at times.  

Best quote of the day from Kathy, regarding my XM Radio station '70s soft Rock choice on the drive: "You're going to have to go up a decade or two if you want me to stay awake". 😁

We also visited Picking Daisies, The Quiltery, Quilters Cupboard, and The Creation Station, then headed to Pismo Beach area to our friends' place.  It was fun to catch up with them and share our treasures.  I concentrated on picking up background fabrics for the quilt for the newlyweds.  


These are the fabrics Nick and Ashley picked out at Superbuzzy for the Dream Weaver quilt.  The pattern is for a small quilt, only 40x55" or so, but I assured Ashley the background could be enlarged--it is made from Disappearing Nine Patches. 


Here are a bunch I hope may work with their choices. Most of the backgrounds are white, but I did add a few cream and colored options. 


I spent more this trip than I have ever, but I saw so many fabrics I liked and also stocked up on neutrals that were lacking in my stash. I bought bolt ends and clearance fabrics, but also plenty of full price yardage. It is my wish for brick and mortar stores to stay open, and that means supporting them.  
See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

5 comments:

Janet said...

What a great,fun weekend. You got some really nice pieces for your stash. I too am trying, in my own small way, to keep our two brick and mortar quilt shops going. 😊

Loris said...

It sounds like you have a wonderful time! I would love to do the Hop some year. I love supporting the brick and mortar shops too. Quilter's Cupboard has been my favorite up here. The shop in Carpenteria..which I can never remember the name of!.. would be another favorite if i lived closer.

julieQ said...

I love those blocks...I have some going identical in pattern to those. Just yummy! You just live this one time...so it is fun and sometimes necessary to spend a bit of cash on fabric...hey, I can justify anything, right? ON we go!!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your twisted block made me chuckle - I usually don't notice until after the top is sewn together - and then it joins the rest of my tops with "one of these is not like the others" - LOL. Love your "stash enhancements" - it sounds like you had a good time. I love brick and mortar stores - the best part is the ability to see everything displayed - sort through the patterns - and touch/feel the fabrics - things you can't do online - ;))

Kate said...

Looks like lots of fun. That's a great photo of you and Kathy! I agree, you have to support the quilt shops or they don't stay around. You did a wonderful job of that and got some really fun stuff to play with.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...