Monday, July 8, 2019

Design Wall Monday--Placemats

Design Wall Monday rolls around again....Off my design wall are the placemats for daughter Erica.  She had picked out some stash neutrals to go with the one mauve print in a jelly roll she liked. There were enough jelly roll strips for the mauve to bookend the neutrals.


I assembled all 6 placemat front pieces in one sweatshop sewing session!  My comment to Erica was that these looked like ice cream :)  I made the backs from the rest of the jelly roll pieces; Erica left the layout and fabric choices to me so I changed the orientation to horizontal. 

It was easiest to sandwich and quilt them in batches of two, since she wanted them to be all alike.  I used specialty quilting stitches on my machine, with cream thread.   In total there were five different stitches used; I kept track of the stitch number and setting information on an index card to ensure the placemats were uniform. 

Fortunately this was the only part of the job that involved ripping.  There may have been colorful euphemisms that accompanied the unsewing.  Ahem. 

All quilted now--showing three backs and three fronts.  I've got them trimmed to size and the binding fabric is being prepped. I'll apply the binding to the back and bring it to the front for a nice machine stitched finish.  Hope to have these done by next weekend--before the customer complaints roll in!

See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

5 comments:

Barb said...

Wonderful, except for the ripping part.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

These do look wonderful, and I can see these as ice cream colors too! Well done!!

Judy Hansen said...

Great job - I like your idea of using your decorative stitches on this project. I hardly ever use my machine's many stitch choices. Than ks for sharing your project with Design Wall Monday, Judy

Louise said...

These are lovely! They do look like ice cream, eaten down by the ocean. Let's hope no one spills ice cream on them too soon :)

Tanya said...

How nice to use the decorative stitching on this project! My machine just does a straight stitch and a scallop but the machine I have in the States does numerous stitches that I can never think of how to use. Now I know a project I might do!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...