Friday, July 12, 2019

Fabric Hunt--Chunky Churndash

I have completed all the Churndash blocks for my version of Chunky Churndash, a free pattern from  Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.com I'm making for my dad.  I showed him some stash fabric choices for the alternate hourglass block, and darned if he didn't pick a favorite of mine!

I have no recollection of where I found this fabric, I just loved the pomegranate and leaf on the pretty blue.  It has not been in stash long.  However, I only  have a one yard piece and need another yard.  I have been unable to find any online as this collection is from 2016, and Kim Diehl's recent collections do not contain a similar blue. I've been searching for a similar background color, but the slightly grayed down blue is quite elusive.  While shopping at my local fabric store today, the clerk went round and round pulling bolts and having no luck except for a tonal solid, which I didn't really want.  Giving up, I perused the clearance bolts and decided to change gears entirely when  I found this print: 




Eliza's Indigo by Betsy Chutchian.  The gray background has a blue tone to it and I actually like the smaller scale print as well.  I mocked up the alternate block at home. 

This not the cream print I'm using but is the same tone. 

All the scrappy blocks seem to play well with the gray print.  I'm sure my dad will like it just fine--he wasn't picky except didn't like the dark red I first showed him (lower right in the pic below).

I thought it would look great with his maroon couch but was given a pass on that idea :)  The alternate block fabrics are taking their turn in the laundry and then cutting will begin using Bonnie's Essential Triangle tool and matched 3.5" strips.  If my math is right (cough cough), I can get 9 quarter-square triangles from each strip.  I need 140+ for my layout.  There is plenty of both fabrics and if mistakes are made, I will be okay!

6 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That's too bad you don't have more of the blue, but the cream fabric looks like it will play nicely with all the fabrics.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It does look like the blue fabric is available on ebay if you really want it.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I think your latest decision to make a change works well; have fun piecing this one, it will be wonderful and your dad will love it.

Janet O. said...

I was going to go check my Kim Diehl stash to see if I had any (I rarely buy full yards, though), but if you have an alternative plan, I will leave it alone.
Good luck--hope the math is right. :)

Tanya said...

Often asking someone what they'd prefer just confuses everyone... "How about this color? How about this one?" I find just making them the quilt the person will still be overjoyed without having any input at all!

Louise said...

That gray is a really great neutral! It will look super draped over a maroon couch :)

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...