Friday, August 9, 2019

Cutting, Sewing, Painting

Things are getting done, in fits and starts, as is the norm with the projects I get myself into. I'm continuing to work on the Chunky Churndash quilt I'm making for my dad to replace the now tattered Turning Twenty quilt I made for him 10+ years ago. 

This photo shows the slate blue background pretty well in the darker print.  I'm enlarging the free pattern from Bonnie of Quiltville.com to an 11x13 block layout, eliminating a couple of borders.  Using her Essential Triangle tool to cut the triangles from matched strips is working well.  I am cutting bonus triangles from the start of the strips--maybe I'll make Dad a coordinating pillow.  30 hourglass blocks done, 41 to go for my setting.  These are 6" blocks so it takes a lot to make a good sized quilt.

Cupboard doors and the vanity base have been painted with three coats!  I want to change out the shelf liner before reinstalling the doors, but haven't found one I like very much.  I saw a post on Pinterest where someone used oilcloth and sticky tape in the corners, but I'm not sure that would work for my builder-installed vanity  which is particle board.  I surely don't want clear liner :)

I'm taking my mom to the Fair this morning to check out more of the Home Arts displays (hubby was not interested!), a bit of the photography building, probably wander by the livestock and horse barns, the gardens and floral, and perhaps the Gem and Mineral Building.  I'll be taking more photos for sure!

4 comments:

Loris said...

It will be fun to see your enlarged Chunky Churn Dash. A sweet gift for your dad :-)

Kate said...

Good progress on multiple fronts. Have a great weekend.

Janet O. said...

Looking forward to seeing the Chunky Churndash come together.
You are ambitious with your redo on the cabinets. Puts me to shame. I have some cupboards that could seriously use a makeover, but it isn't even on my radar right now. :)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Chunky Churndash will be a nice replacement quilt for your dad; I love the fact that he was worn out the last one you made for him! Your cabinets are going to look wonderful-- I love the color you have chosen.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...