Monday, August 19, 2019

Design Wall Monday--8/19/19

It's Design Wall Monday again.  See more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

On my design floor are the Chunky Churndash blocks I have been making for my Dad's replacement quilt.  I cut and sewed hourglass blocks for days and finally had the stack ready. My sister Kathy, who was making peach cobbler in my kitchen, expressed her detestation of the scrappy blocks I had made--tiny pieces give her hives--as do CW prints.  I just smiled and proceeded to lay them out on the dining room floor.


I was really happy with the hourglass blocks' contrast with the Chunky Churndash blocks.  There was little switcheroo needed as there were so many unique color combos.  A couple of lighter blocks didn't make the cut, however.

The wood floor didn't look too bad as an alternate block either :)  


By this point Kathy was loving the transformation with the diagonal setting formed by the hourglass blocks, much to my amusement.  Once again, Quilt Math reared its ugly head as I ran short of hourglass blocks by eight!   Fortunately I had plenty of fabric and quickly cut and sewed up the remaining blocks. 


All credit for the simple and effective design goes to Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.com.  This is a free pattern on her website, which I enlarged by a couple of rows. The quilt will shrink  to 66x78" before borders.  I will likely add only one border, if any, whereas the pattern has three.  I would note, however, that the pattern instructions do not include yardage requirements for the borders. The block rows are all stacked, numbered and pinned, ready to be joined together.  Hope to have the rows all sewn by the end of the week!

7 comments:

Loris said...

This is an awesome quilt for your dad! The hourglass blocks are such a great idea! I hope the peach cobbler was tasty :-)

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

At first glance, I thought you were going to fade into solid brown squares on the bottom, which would look great, too! It was your wood floor fooling me. Beautiful quilt! I love how it has the diagonal lines while still being set straight. As a longarmer, I'm not too fond of on point quilts--they can be very stretchy. Your dad's going to love it!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOL - I love the wood floor as an alternate block - ;))

Chantal said...

I'm glad you ignore your sister's comments and just continued with the layout. It is beautiful! Yes, the wood floor is a good alternate block but the hourglass is a great choice. ;^)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Lovely blocks with pretty colours. You are a wonderful piecer. Happy Stitching!

Janet O. said...

This is such a great scrap quilt, Annie! Doesn't the hourglass block work magic as a setting square? Got a chuckle over your sister's change of heart.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that looks awesome!!!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...