Saturday, August 17, 2019

Art and More from the County Fair

Mom and I spent more time in the Home Arts building looking at the amateur fine arts category, including drawing and painting of all types.  We had a few favorites, scratched our heads at some ribbon winners, but were mostly impressed.  


I liked  this very fine colored pencil portrait.  Many hours dedicated to this one, for certain.


I liked this one too, of a ballet stretch. 

Another very well executed drawing that received Best of Show. 

A fun caricature self-portrait also won best of show.  Clever use of an old clipboard.  I took cartooning at our local college when I was in high school--still have some of my work around here somewhere.  


Neither Mom nor I was familiar with this art medium, but thought it a very clever portrait.

I was fond of this watercolor, all the rich autumn colors. 


A chilling rendering of the hills and sky during the Thomas Fire in December 2017, from midtown of the city.

Another fine watercolor of a leafless tree.  So much energy in the painting, I thought.  

I then took Mom over to the Youth Arts building to show her an amazing installation of an art form I had never heard of, Tapigami.  


Everything displayed here is made from masking tape!  It was a huge display, you had to stand back to see "VENTURA" spelled out. 
All kinds of towers, leaves, animals, flowers and shapes made with tape.

The creator of this inexpensive art form has written a couple of instructional books.  You can google Tapigami for more amazing installations. 

After a lunch of Fish Tacos from a favorite local vendor, we made our way to the Floriculture building, which had a dearth of the normal large commercial displays with hundreds of plants, water features, bridges, etc for yards.  While we missed them, there were plenty of amateur efforts.  

The editor in me cringed at the unnecessary apostrophe in Plants, but was happy to see someone else added the second "o" in too to correct it!  I posted about this on Instagram and found it funny that there is a hashtag #pluralnotpossessive :)


Here's a rendering in miniature of the Fairgrounds that was created by County Jail system juveniles who are being taught landscaping skills, apparently.  Pretty unique!

One more quilt I forgot to share, a fun one.

Wall-E!

3 comments:

Janet O. said...

Wow--some gorgeous artwork. I have volunteered in our art building at the fair for the last several years--until this year. It is amazing what local "amateurs" can do.
Tapigami is new to me, too (with 2 Os). Can't believe what they have created!
I was in a store once where they had a sign that said "Do to the ..." the rest of the sign is unimportant. I had to call their attention to the fact that they should probably change it to "Due."
That last quilt is very cute.

Janet said...

That was such a fun fair with some gorgeous entries...yours definitely included. Really enjoyed some of the more diverse medium illustrated in your posts...thank you do much for taking us along 😊

Barwitzki said...

Fantastisk. Takk. Danke. Thank you. Viola

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...