Monday, August 26, 2019

Design Wall Monday--August 26, 2019

It's Design Wall Monday again--at least I get on this blog about once a week for the sharing party! See more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.

After multiple days of no machine stitching, I got busy sewing the Chunky Churndash blocks together, finally (free pattern by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.com).

Two sets of three rows laid out casually on the floor, not joined yet.  I have 7 more rows to assemble before getting the top together.   I sent this pic to my Dad, whose quilt this will be, and he thought it was "looking good".  I'm using smaller hourglass pieces from another Bonnie Hunter free pattern, My Blue Heaven, as leader-enders.  Gotta get these project boxes emptied sometime...

Another job crossed off the list was getting 520 squares cut for the newlyweds' quilt.  I sent this pic to son Nick and his wife and they both replied enthusiastically.  It may be a different reaction when I have them help me lay these all out on the floor :)  

One of our local independent quilt shops, Superbuzzy, had an anniversary party this weekend.  I made a trip with a gift card aging since Christmas.  There was a raffle prize ticket given and another scavenger hunt for a special gift.  I looked over the store several times and kept coming back to a kit I'd wanted since I first saw it few years ago.  While I was at the register, the raffle prize number was drawn twice with no one present with the ticket.  Third time was the charm, my ticket number was called!

I won the stack of Japanese fabric fat quarters, and my purchase of the Mahalo Kit earned me a cute pin.  Desert Bloom is a fabric line from Sherri & Chelsi for Moda. Sherri blogs at "A Quilting Life" and if you search her blog for Mahalo, she shares many different styles for this Dresden-type block made in her classes.  The quilt design was inspired by an antique of Sherri's, her great-grandmother's quilt that was 30's fabrics.  I'll look forward to assembling my own Mahalo quilt. 

Happy last week of August!

6 comments:

julieQ said...

Love your chunky churn dash!!! How fun to win some fabrics!

Loris said...

Yay for a win! Lovely fabrics and a cute pin. You will have a good time with the Mahalo quilt. Sweet fabrics.

Janet O. said...

You are making progress. And you have me really curious as to what will become of all those neutral squares.
Hey, you had a great day at the quilt shop! Congrats! :)

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Lovely colours and prints on your Churndash and the wedding quilt. Enjoy your win, that is a pretty bundle.

-Soma

Tanya said...

I'm looking forward to seeing how your wedding quilt grows! I've had fun piecing the signature I was making and wonder when I'll be needing to make another one for my son and girlfriend.... No announcements yet but I want to be ready in case they ever do!

Kate said...

The Chunky Churndash quilt is coming along beautifully. You made out well at the shop sale. Looks like you've got lots of fun stuff to stitch on for the rest of the year.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...