Monday, September 2, 2019

Design Wall Monday--9/2/19

Happy Labor Day! For Design Wall Monday, I'm laboring on another UFO that stalled out at borders, last seen on another DWM here  .  Yesterday while cleaning up the sewing room, I was folding up leftover yardage I used as bias binding on a tree skirt when struck by an idea.  I pulled out this Christmas quilt top from the closet to check if the colors would work.  This is a design inspired by a pattern called Barefoot in the Park by Loft Creations.

I quickly sewed on the corner triangles that had been patiently waiting since last November to be attached.  The aqua print initially was the only border I was going to add, but I bought too little of it and cannot find it anywhere.  It is a directional print and my fear was that it was going to bug me if I had to piece the border.  However, laid across the quilt in two pieces, I think my fear is allayed by the busyness of the print!  I played around with the border design to see how short the border pieces could be cut.  

The red striped border fabric color was what I was wondering about.  I think it works fine with the prints in the quilt. I like the 4 patch in the corner and added two more to shorten the aqua border.  Hmmm...


Just the 4 patch here...but wait, I'll try switching the borders.


I think I like this setting best, with the aqua border first, since it is a more modern print to go with the four patches and background print, even though I'll have to use more of it.  Opinions welcome!

See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.    She's showing a darling butterfly quilt today, and real Monarchs hatching.

7 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like the border with the 4 patch in the corner - Give you a lot to look at!

loulee said...

Sorry, I'm no help as I like them both. LOL

Kate said...

I like the teal then the red border best. The red is darker so it seems to stop my eyes, so works better as the final border. It's great when you find the inspiration to finish off one of those stalled UFOs.

Loris said...

Lovely! I think I like it either way. It might depend on what you had for binding it. That floral works so well with your other fabrics.

Janet O. said...

It all looks good from here. Seeing the whole quilt, you have a better perspective, so if you like the last option best--it probably is best. :)

Churn Dash said...

I think all the options look wonderful. I'll be curious to see which you choose.

Helen

Tanya said...

Yep, I think I like your last option the best too. The red border works on the outside the best in either case. Such a fun quilt!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...