Monday, September 23, 2019

Design Wall Monday--9/23/19

It's Design Wall Monday. See more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

On my Design Floor are blocks from a UFO of several years.  I'm not sure I want to look back and see how long ago I started collecting batiks for the Beach Cottage Quilt! I pulled the box as a substitute for National Jelly Roll Day, since I surely don't need to start something new and this pattern uses 2 1/2" strips, as do most of Kim Brackett's patterns. 

The design from her book "Scrap Basket Surprises" is another clever one.  Four combinations of fabrics are composed randomly.  I chose brown and light green....


..and tan with purple


I had made a bunch of blocks last year but stalled out when I needed more tan and green prints for variety.


Well someone is covering a couple of the new blocks, but trust me, they are pretty :)  Say Hi, Mini.



The blocks are then combined into four patches ABCD and finally into rows.  I am pleased to be finished with all the parts for the quilt center.  Back into the box they will go for now.   I also made progress on the newlyweds' quilt.  

10 rows all assembled now....only 16 to go.  Let's see, that is 320 squares left to sew...

7 comments:

Loris said...

Thanks for the inspiration! I have had that Beach Cottage pattern in mind for several years now but I like your idea of pulling from your scraps. The blocks you've made are lovely. I will think of pulling from my batik stash and making some.

Janet O. said...

I really like Beach Cottage! I remember it from back when. :)
How large are the squares in the newlyweds' quilt?

Churn Dash said...

I saw posts around the web talking about Jelly Roll day and I was tempted, briefly. I should have thought of the one project I have that has been made from a jelly roll but I was thinking "new project". You are very wise to work on such a beautiful project.

The love volume quilt for the newly weds is stunning. I am surprised I love it so much but then what is life without surprises. Does it have a deadline?

Helen

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

These blocks are so pretty - I especially like the purple with the tan and beige. I also really like the soft muted colors of the newlywed quilt.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Very pretty blocks and newlywed quilt! "Back into the box they will go for now." - LOL - I say/do that a lot - ;))

Susan R. said...

Very pretty. I have two of her books and love her patterns. Not sure if you care but I noticed thatone block in the purple quilt is backwards ( next to bottom row, second from left).

Kate said...

Beautiful and restful color palette for those Scrap Basket blocks. Congrats on making progress on the UFO. That always feels good.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...