Monday, September 9, 2019

Design Wall Monday--Sept 9, 2019

It's Design Wall Monday!  See more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.   

On my design floor is another project that stalled due to a cutting error...hmmm, I sense a theme in my sewing life!  Our guild has promised 50 quilts by the end of the year for babies and kids and I had started a large star quilt found in this British patchwork magazine I got free in a goodie bag: 


However, in my enthusiasm at the cutting table, I had cut and made the wrong color combination HSTs for my version of "A Star is Born" quilt in the magazine.  So into a Time Out box the quilt went, without even a progress photo taken!  Then , even after carefully checking and double checking the fabrics I needed, I carelessly cut a set of squares for HSTs at the FINISHED size.  I luckily had plenty of the green hand-dyed Rick Tims fabric hoarded since 2006--definitely time to get it cut up and into a quilt. 

My toes matched the center purple :).  The magazine pattern had the corners rounded and finished with bias binding, but I think I'll leave mine square.  If I have enough of the Kona Silver used in the outer blocks, I'll bind it with that, otherwise probably the Kona Prussian blue solid, I love that color.

The project box didn't stay empty for long!

My sister reminded me of the guild monthly challenge due Monday, something inspired from the summer.  It being a variable summer, I pulled out my bin of leftover pieces and parts and sewed together a small table mat/runner.  It looked too regular to be modern, so I sliced and rearranged. 

Much more interesting.  I'll call it Mixed Bag.  The leftover blocks drawer is pretty full, there will be some more small projects in the near future. 

2 comments:

Janet O. said...

I like that design for a baby quilt--and the matching toenails are stunning. :)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Matching toenails - too funny!! And I'm with you - after I read the overall block size on a pattern - I don't really care what the unit "finished" size is - I want to know what size to "cut" it. If I "cut" it right - it will sew up to be whatever size it's supposed to be - LOL - ;))

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...