Monday, December 2, 2019

Design Wall Monday--Thanksgiving and Quilting

It's Design Wall Monday again, see more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I have several things to show for the long holiday weekend's work.

First, Thanksgiving prep meant moving a lot of my sewing room stuff into the garage so we could make room for moving furniture to extend the dining tables.  My husband took the opportunity--and unusually cold and rainy weather in SoCalif--to use our fireplace.  


Usually my cutting table is directly in front of the hearth and hides the pretty ginkgo leaf firescreen I got as a gift one Christmas.  We have had piles of logs from an ornamental pear tree that the drought killed years ago--Grant fed the fire all day with them and it made him very happy :)  We were only 11 for dinner and there was plenty of everything, with lots of leftovers!  It was a lovely time together and we got a visit from the grands and their folks later. 

Friday morning I partially reassembled my sewing room to work on two projects, the Oh My Stars swap blocks from the fabrics I showed last post, and the ongoing background fabrics for Jen Kingwell's Dreamweaver quilt for our son and new daughter-in-law.  I got seven more rows sewn together.

 That's another 140 squares completed....and another 140 to go.  I pulled out the project bin and applique template instructions and will need to confer further with the 6-month-weds about fabric choices in the near future.  Then I got to work on the swap blocks.


I used my GO cutter for the 2.5" red print squares and cut the remaining pieces.  The flying geese were made the four-at-a-time way and then trimmed to final dimension.  In this photo the muslin background looks pink, for some reason...


...this photo has truer colors.  I'll need to keep being careful with the seam allowances to keep the 1/4" from the points, but I am really pleased with the fabric choices.

I'll have another quilt to share next time--my sister quilted my Lucky word quilt top for me today!  We got it on the frame together and she finished it tonight.  Here's a sneak peak...

So excited--here's how it last looked...two years ago after Sewtopia New Orleans in November 2017.

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

It's probably been months since I last visited your blog. (And, most admit to using ort on Words With Friends on occasion so thanks for that!) I love your lucky word quilt. I take it you learned the letter technique in a class? Is there a book that shows the letters? (Like I need another project but, hey I really like that quilt idea. Maybe different words but love the whole concept. Yea for the fire. We live where it gets cold and don't often use it.

Barb said...

Great styling around your fireplace.
Your stars look great, as long as you get the right size, I endorse whatever method is used.
I LOVE YOUR LETTERING quilt! wow so awesome

Janet O. said...

Must be a hard choice--quilt, or enjoy the fireplace. I don't have a fireplace, but sure wish I did!
Loving the fabric for your stars. That red is one I have nursed along, making it stretch as far as I can. The gold is new to me, but I do love them both.
Can't wait to see the lucky quilt all quilted up!

Kate said...

Sounds like you had a very nice Thanksgiving. Congrats on all the project progress. Love the word quit! I don't think I've seen that one before. Hope you get in lots of stitching between the holidays.

Tanya said...

Your Lucky Word quilt is a beauty. I’m looking forward to seeing it all quilted!

I can’t imaging trying to feed eleven people in my house... and with my lack of cooking skills! I have trouble cooking for two!

Barb said...

I love what is on your design wall... love your fireplace....I can feel the warmth over here in Texas...kinda cold right now.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...