Monday, February 17, 2020

Design Wall Monday--2/17/20

It's Design Wall Monday.  See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

On my design surface is the ongoing Dreamweaver quilt I'm making for my son and daughter-in-law (Jen Kingwell Designs).  I'm still working on the pieced rings that will be appliqued to the completed background. After several attempts at piecing, the outer ring has been in Timeout while I played with the Meadowland QAL blocks that have no curves! 

After ripping apart the four or so pieces I'd sewn together, I consulted the template pattern drawings and my cut templates and fabric pieces again.  It finally dawned on me that the seam allowance was wider than 1/4" and that was the key.  I drew on the seam allowance for a few pieces but then noticed the width of my machine foot was the same as the drawn line.  Yay, a shortcut!

 There was still a struggle to get all 32 triangles sewn with enough seam allowance for the points not to be chopped off when I add the bias tape around the outside.

I am sure to be adjusting seam allowances again to get the inner rings attached to the outer rings.  But that will happen on another day...meanwhile I sewed up a bunch more Meadowland blocks :)

For leader enders, I've long been making four patches from 1.5" squares and adding triangles to make square-in-squares.  I decided to use some neutral, brown, and black 1.25" strips to separate the blocks--that is the smallest size scrap I save!

I like the striped spacers a lot!  This is a pretty wild bunch of blocks.  I wasn't paying close attention to the orientation of the four patches when I added the strips.  Separated with the lights going horizontal and a straight setting calmed down the look:

 They are still very scrappy! 

7 comments:

Churn Dash said...

Your rings look beautiful. You are braver than me because I avoid curves at all costs.

I love the scrappy blocks you are making. I think you are right that using the same orientation calms the quilt down.

Helen

Loris said...

Dreamweaver is quite the challenge! Your ring looks fantastic! I'm so glad you figured out what you needed to do. Meadowland is looking fun. Great use of those plaids and stripes. I love the scrappy look of it. This will be charming :-)

Barb said...

So you are not using paper piecing for the circles? If not I would love this pattern...will have to check your blog and see where I can get it.

julieQ said...

I like the wild look!! glorious!!! Your mariner's compass is so pretty!

Nann said...

Slow and steady is the way to approach those complex Dreamweaver blocks. (How many do you need to make?)

Janet O. said...

Your rings lay beautifully flat! Impressive. Do you have to make many more of them?
Cute little leader/ender blocks. Any idea how large you will make that project?

Tanya said...

The rings are amazing. I'm so impressed!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...