Tuesday, March 10, 2020

And Another Week Flies By

It was a very busy weekend at home, at work, and in our social lives.  There were birthday parties and baseball season opening games, and plenty of fabric play.  Oh, and a trip to the Urgent Care!   I'll start there since it also involves fabric :)

Friday afternoon I spent some time in the backyard trimming the poinsettia plant, avocado tree, and the neighbor's over-enthusiastic vines falling over the fence.  As I was cleaning up the garden tools, my hand slipped on the wet clippers and I cut my right index finger.  The cut was not deep, but it bled a lot and so I sat with it above my heart, applying pressure, for a good 30-45 minutes.  Part of the laceration stuck together fine, but the other did not and continued to bleed. I called my doctor's office--for whom I work--and they directed me to urgent care.  Luckily no sutures were needed; they cleaned me up, used Dermabond glue to cover the laceration and sent me home after a tetanus booster.  As a consolation for this injury, I stopped off at the fabric store for a discount remnant bin raid and a replacement 6.5" square ruler--I still never found the one that disappeared two weeks ago!


There were also a lot of bolts on sale and I picked up a good length of Kona Brown for 30% off.  The smallest remnant was 70 cents--love that.  We babysat the boys for a few hours Friday night, and after they went to bed I finally got the Chunky Churndash quilt top prepared for quilting by cleaning up the loose threads on the back.  The quilt is now on its way to David's Quilting to become a real quilt for my dad at last--he's been waiting a long time!


Sewing room layout and switcheroo for the Meadowland QAL happened too.

Saturday we had two more social engagements--grandson Cove had his baseball season opening game and later there was a 30th birthday party to attend that our youngest threw herself.  It was fun to see many of Erica's friends who spent so much time at our house in the teen/young adult years.  

On Sunday a housewarming/birthday party for the grandsons was the last social engagement. I spent a couple of hours before the party sewing up some flannel pants for the boys. Arriving at the party, we discovered an awful thing had happened to my CRV's sunroof. 


You can see in the corner that something impacted the glass. I do remember hearing a loud bang when on the freeway a day or two before, but we never noticed the damage until the glass crumbled.  Luckily the car was  still drive-able, though I now have a rental car pending repair--because it has been RAINING in SoCalif.


Sunday night I sewed the rows for our round robin Guild project.  My guild mini group members helped with the layout and I love all the movement.  Again, I used the Grayscale tutorial from Allison's Cluck Cluck Sew blog, adding an additional round to make 12" finished blocks rather than 10". 

To continue my March self-challenge to move along unfinished projects in the Hoosier Cabinet, I sewed all the corners on the Tea Time 5" charm pack quilt project. 
Fun little blocks! 

The Meadowland QAL concludes this week with sewing up the top.  I'm assembling mine in rows and have finished three rows of the nine needed.  My social calendar is a lot lighter this week so I should be able to get them all done!

3 comments:

Angie said...

I have missed my quilty friends out in blogland. Just trying to get back in a slow swing after this difficult year is drawing to a close. I love all of your projects in this post. Girl, you are such an inspiration. :-)

Janet O. said...

You have been VERY busy. I am glad you weren't more seriously injured!
You are really moving your projects along. The guild round robin project is very fun eye candy!

Tanya said...

Amazing all the sewing you've been able to do even with an injured finger!

Sorry to see the damage to the car and wouldn't you know it, it had to happen when you've been having rain!

Happy Birthday to Erica!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...