Monday, March 16, 2020

Design Wall Monday-- March 16, 2020

Design Wall Monday comes round again, just like clockwork!  See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

Saturday night I finished up the Meadowland QAL  Christmas quilt (fabric is We Whisk You a Merry Christmas).  I love how this turned out. Assembly by row was fine, but likely I'll try by blocks next time. The pattern by Then Came June is one that can be made in many different sizes--this is the large throw size, 64" square. Someone on IG reduced the block by half for theirs and it turned out really cute.


The ongoing March self-challenge to clean out the Hoosier cabinet had me looking at blocks as well.

The box on the table held leftover/orphan blocks and small unfinished projects.  I put a lot of the blocks in a donations bag, along with some books and patterns I'm moving along.  The cleaned out small project box went back in the cabinet.  A pile of X-Plus blocks I won in our recent block lotto  were a fun distraction during the cleaning.

We are making baby quilts for young moms for one of the philanthropy projects at guild. Won't this be a fun bright playmat?

These were a little too disparate for me so took out the green blocks and the one with the blue middle for another 9 block baby quilt.  I'll sew those up before the next meeting, hopefully.


The "After" photo doesn't look too much different, but there were a lot of books and patterns moved out and a good reorganization.   I have a bunch of embroidery skeins to wind on cards to finish this part of the job.  The brown tray in the top right of the cupboard has unframed cross-stitch pieces and I'll work on those in the near future.  I haven't had any hand embroidery going lately but the wool blocks of the still incomplete Greenpiece quilt need to get done (last seen in March 2019's challenge!). 

COVID-19 has come to my county and the state Governor has closed bars and declared that over 65 year olds and those with chronic health conditions should quarantine themselves. Schools closed for four weeks as of Friday.  Meanwhile, the medical group I work for is establishing tele-health at our office and have been running a screening fever and cough drive-through clinic at another location for over a week.  The doctors in our group are very innovative and quick thinking, and most of them are women, a fact I am quite proud about!  Social distancing being practiced, and trying to keep clean and sterilized of primary importance.  Scary times, for sure.    I went to Target on Friday to get a filter for our Brita and there was not a single pitcher product on the shelves--nor any bottled water except the expensive kind.  I bought a few of those while the filters are on order.  My husband went to Ralph's grocery store this morning and ran into similar shortages, as well as far fewer checkers and long lines for all self-checkout registers.   Stay healthy, people!  I'm going to spend plenty of time with needle and thread :)

4 comments:

Julierose said...

Same here as far as supplies--really depleted...but we two have been through scarcity before, so we know how to deal with that.;)))
I hope you and yours are staying safe....
Your X-Plus blocks are just lovely...
...hugs and prayers Julierose

Janet O. said...

I like your finished top--very pretty.
And you have the makings of some great baby quilts there.
We don't have any cases of Covid-19 in our valley yet, but I'm sure it will come. Too many people (especially university students out of school now) are traveling and coming back and NOT isolating. They are foolish and endangering vulnerable people.
Our schools and restaurants are also closed--no church meetings and most any gatherings that had been scheduled are now cancelled. My three oldest kids all had trips planned--from Hawaii to Washington D.C.--and all of them have cancelled. Crazy times--and we woke up to an earthquake this morning.

Tanya said...

Yes, I hear that California is a scary place to be right now with all the lock downs in place. But you are brightening your corner of the world with all your pretty piecing! And the world needs brightening, that's for sure!

Barb said...

I love everything you are doing...both quilts are fabulous. Thanks for your service in the health profession. Be safe and healthy.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...