Monday, March 2, 2020

Design Wall Monday--March 2, 2020 New March Challenge

First Design Wall Monday of March is here--see more beauties on design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  

Last March I did a UFO self-challenge working on a different project every three days.  That was a very motivating exercise and helped move along lots of different quilts that had been stalled at some stage or another.  This year I'm working on hidden projects, mostly contained in/on/under the Hoosier cabinet that substitutes for closet space in the open family room where I sew.  It's Empty the Hoosier this month!  I first attacked the overflowing scrap situation; I had a shoe box and deep wire basket full of fabric to deal with.


Pieces I had already precut to the sizes I save went into the drawers under the cutting table, and the larger slabs and strips to the ROY G BIV drawers under the desk, or the fat quarter dresser, depending on size.  The wire basket and plastic shoebox are empty again!  However, I accidentally started a new project while cutting up some of the green scraps....Squirrel!

I'm going to make a tablerunner for my oldest brother--his favorite color is green too. The fabric in the bottom right stack I used in a bed quilt I made him several years ago.  This squirrel project will match another started in April 2017 from Kim Brackett's pattern called Cross My Heart (from the book Scrap Basket Beauties), and finished in my Three for March self-challenge last year.



 Obviously this pic doesn't show the finish! I cut 40 sets of green fabrics but still need to cut the corner pieces from solid white. 

In the Hoosier cabinet I have a box with small unfinished projects; that also needs to be emptied! I chose one as a new leader-ender. I think the 5" charm pack was a prize and the pattern a free project card.  Anyway, I had already cut all the corner squares, they just needed to be marked with the stitching line, a tedious job that had stalled the project. 



This will make a good baby quilt if I make it square instead of a rectangle, wouldn't it?  Lots of fun piecing to start my Empty the Hoosier Challenge--I like it!

6 comments:

Loris said...

What a great start for March! Cleaning out always feels good to me. I get more motivated. March is handy for that as our guild always has an "auction" where everyone brings their donations and buys everyone else's stuff :-) I only have a small pile so far, so will get going on that as the meeting is the second Wednesday of the month.
I think I have a few Kim Brackett patterns floating around in my head. I hope to do at least one this year. I stalled a bit with sewing but think I'm finally going again as I figure out how to attempt pressing my Straits quilt in a fairly manageable manner. Fingers crossed ;-)

loulee said...

As always you have lots going on. I do like the table runner idea and yes I see a very cute cot quilt in those plus blocks.

Barb said...

I love what you are doing with your scraps, I too am working on some scrap quilts....I actually see my scrap pile going down an inch...ha ha...

Janet O. said...

I am impressed that you have emptied your scrap containers and organized them all! And who can do that without starting something new? You always find great scrap projects--I look forward to seeing the baby quilt come together.

Tanya said...

Look at all that green! Isn't it fun to use up scraps and stash! My scrap bins always seem to be overflowing!

Kate said...

Wow! You got a lot done in the first couple of days this month. Good luck with your March challenge!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...