Thursday, April 2, 2020

Busy Sewing Room

Sewing room stitching continues at a high rate, both for guild mask-making and my continuing effort to finish up WIPs and UFOs, charity projects, and squirrel projects. 

Six more masks for Guild today..I've turned in 26 so far.  Our son stopped by this week and while here picked out some fabric for a mask.  My dad has now requested a mask for himself and Mom since the news is now that wearing masks in public may be of some benefit.  My husband has been wearing his when he grocery shops, along with wearing gloves.  Next I'll need to make one for myself! 

Last year sometime I made a bunch of blocks for Quilts of Valor from a kit I had picked up at the Road to California show.  I added many more of my own fabrics to complete additional blocks.  Some I had set aside to make later and that time arrived :)  You can see I marked an additional stitching line to make HSTs.  


I liked the planned floating star as it is a lot easier to sliver trim to size without worrying about cutting off points. 


I made another couple of blocks with the cutoffs, similar to this one from last year, and will mail them all together.  Some baby quilt tops have also been stitched for guild and I'll show those next post. One of my weekend errands will be purchasing batting as I am down to scraps.

Addressing another UFO that is woefully behind, the Dreamweaver quilt for the now nearly one year marrieds--I did some surgery to the medallion that insisted on being bowl shaped. 

The new plan is to tighten up the outer ring by increasing the seams on a few pieces toward the center, and then appliquéing the smaller ring on top.  This isn't ideal but in the end will work out better. Note that my version is greatly increased in size from the original Jen Kingwell pattern and  machine pieced rather than hand pieced.  Once appliqued to the already completed background, things should go faster!

Currently I am working from home, and there is a lot of down time between telemedicine patients.  I started a little cross stitch to pick up when I'm waiting at the computer. 


This is a vintage Lizzie Kate pattern I bought at the thrift store a couple of years ago.  I'm making the design on the right in the photo, but using Spring instead of Easter for the lettering.  There are a number of color substitutions that will happen along the way, but I started with floss on hand that matched the pattern numbers.  I'd been missing having handwork to do and this is a fun stitch.

6 comments:

Julierose said...

Just simply beautiful stars you've made;)))
Good deal making those masks...I made them for our family, and they all use them along with gloves, too...
Hubby cleaned out the ashes from our fireplace yesterday and found the mask invaluable for that too...so many uses for them..
~ ~ ~ ~ waving from rainy CT julierose ;)))

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Bless you! Your efforts are helping so many!! I haven't thought about picking up crosstitch in a very long time-- hmmmm; yours is so cute.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You have been busy with so many wonderful projects. At least now we all have time to move our projects forward. It is great that you are making masks for donation.

Loris said...

Great work on the masks! They do sound even more useful now. I have made...TADA.. 1, uno, one :-) But I have ordered some supplies that will be here tomorrow ( I hope) and will get going on cloth ones that can be washed. I have plans for some to mimic an N95 for my neighbors and family but am waiting for my throat to look normal again. I had a sore throat for one measly day a week ago and it's still kind of red...paler today. But I don't want to be sewing on something that can't be washed if I have some lingering germ. It could be allergies but since this virus is so mysterious, I'm not taking any chances passing anything on.
It is so good that you can work from home and fill in with stitching while you're on pause. Prayers for sanity and wisdom in people to stay home as much as possible and not get sick or share it!

Janet said...

Always enjoy your posts. Be well...stay safe ❤

Barb said...

That circle at
the bottom of your quilt is AWESOME!

I am wondering if I should make more mask? I like yours. I did mine with elastic hair bobs....maybe I will try the binding.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...