Wednesday, April 8, 2020

And Masks Keep on Coming

It seems all sewists and quilters are turning out masks as fast as they can.  I haven't sewn much else, though do sneak leader-ender block pieces in now and then.

I did take the time to make my own mask, which I wore when I picked up an order at JoAnn Fabrics yesterday.  There were some unused gift cards collecting dust in the sewing room so I ordered some packaged batting for the baby quilts for guild, and also some off the roll wide batting for larger donation quilts.  It took about three days before I learned the wide batting was not available; they credited me back with an online gift card but gave no reason why it was not available.  I was able to collect the crib sized batting curbside.  


These masks were all delivered yesterday to our daughter Elaine--she wanted a non-pleated style so the green one at the top is hers.  I got this free pattern from the Shannon Fabrics website.  It has three layers (I used batik for the 3rd layer) and is assembled stitch-and-turn for the mask and the ties. I did not do my ties that way, as I loathe trying to wrestle skinny ties right side out.  I cut straight of grain binding and folded in each side to the center and then in half and stitched, similar to how I'm doing the AB Mask pleated type.  I will note that the Shannon Fabrics mask has three sizes available.  The adult size is quite large and best for men.  I gave the first one I made to my nephew and made the Teen size for Elaine.  The four pleated masks at the bottom are for Elaine's inlaws--including her husband's grandparents who live in the Bay Area.  Spreading masks far and wide, haha.

Erica's boyfriend requested a black mask and modeled how he will look wearing it at work, lol.  Elaine's husband Chris also wants a black mask, so that will be on the agenda tomorrow, along with masks for his brother and sister-in-law.  Meanwhile, I am making masks for close friends of Elaine and Chris's and was happy to have a little 5 year old girl to sew for. 

Fat quarter stash finds for the requested pink color.  I thought the stripes were cheerful.  Little brother will get a fun blue print, no pic of that yet.

My husband asked for a mask for one of his customers, who never lets us pay when we go to her restaurant and are always so nice to Grant.  An oriental print long hoarded in stash went to this worthy cause. 

Meanwhile, I am still working from home though it is spotty at best sometimes.  Telemedicine only works with smartphones or computers with camera access and many of our older patients do not have that kind of technology.  When the doc is making phone visits, I can pick up my LizzieKate cross-stitch for a few minutes. 

There was a bit of progress today since this pic, I finished the yellow chick and part of another flower stem. I adore the needleminder I got from the Coni the Spinster Stitcher.

Finally, a fun memory from some years ago:

Tiny Cove on his Mimi-made baby quilt.  He's now six and was enjoying Kindergarten before the quarantine.  Our son texted yesterday that his son is now "half baked" as his expectant wife is halfway to delivery in August.  The boys can't wait to meet their new cousin.  Hoping the curve flattens and disappears by then.  Stay home, stay safe, people!

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Your masks look like they really cover well!

It is so nice that you have August to look forward to! Hopefully California will be a safer place by then.

Barwitzki said...

You sewed beautiful masks.
Yes ... we need them everywhere now, the mouth masks.
I also sew some.
Greetings to you... and thanks for the nice photos :-))

Loris said...

Great job on the masks and they look lovely too :-) Mine are a little more hodgepodge although my neighbor loved the 'retro' fabric...which happened to be from the 70's. HA! Hoarding at it's best :-)
Prayers for continued good health for your family. We are doing well here and enjoying a little rain.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...