Monday, April 27, 2020

Design Wall Monday--4/25/2020

Design Wall Monday to close out the longest April in history...see more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  

Lots more activity in the sewing room, including quilting smaller projects.  I made a Baby size Moda Love Quilt a couple of years ago and it stalled after the top was pieced--a fairly typical bump in the road for my quilt making process!  Something simple was called for and, since I had the right size batting and quickly stitched up a backing, quilting commenced.  


I started this quilt with a charm pack of Bonnie and Camille fabric and added neutrals and a few other additions from stash to finish out the layout.


Chunks of leftovers for a backing.   I used my Hera marker to space lines 1" apart and neutral thread.  I love the texture it gives.  There not being any other Bonnie and Camille fabric in stash, there were many options pulled and rejected.  Finally I happened upon a green print that works and it has been cut and sewn, ready to attach when I have the walking foot out again. 

A leader-ender project jumped ahead of others too.  I finished up the last five blocks of Cross My Heart from Kim Brackett's Scrap Basket book and commenced layout of the tablerunner I'm making for my brother, all greens from scraps and stash. 


The bright yellow-green blocks were too loud and got pulled, and I had one leftover double.  I have to cut setting triangles before assembling but have the rows pinned in stacks.

Mini, my 15 year old cat, found the empty project box irresistible...


Her, um, +/- 15 lb body didn't really fit in the photo box...

But she gave it the old college try--for a few minutes anyway, lol.

7 comments:

Loris said...

Lovely progress on the quilt front. I love those greens in the runner.
Mini is adorable. I have not been able to tempt my cats into boxes but they have sat in those wool balls occasionally. My current princess is enjoying heating pads.

Julierose said...

That cross table runner is really a great pattern...cute kitty...
~ ~ ~ waving while holding my hat in this wind~ ~ ~Julierose

loulee said...

The moda love quilt is very pretty, nice finish.
You're making good progress on the crosses quilt top too.
What is it with cats and boxes??

Sherrill said...

Love the simple way you quilted that adorable quilt. Done is always good!! Mini is so cute in her box. I had to have my 17 1/2 yr old put to sleep 2 days before Christmas. I sure miss him.

Janet O. said...

I have that Moda pattern in a project box all ready to make a Christmas quilt with 10" squares (been there for years). Seeing your baby quilt makes me want to get to it!
Interesting that we are both making table runners for our brothers. I just took the last stitches in the binding but have now decided it needs more quilting. I want to use a certain stencil that cannot be found, of course. Isn't that how it goes?
Oh, Mini is just trying to live up to her name. LOL

Kate said...

Who've made good use of your safer at home time. The Moda baby quilt turned out beautifully! Looks like Mini is making the best of the safer at home time too, naps are always fun. But working from home, my napping (and stitching) time haven't gone up any.

Tanya said...

Hi Mini! I need to find my walking foot... guess that means I need to clean my sewing room!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...