Sunday, April 26, 2020

Qurantine, Family, Masks...Slow Sunday Stitching

Our County's "Stay Well at Home" restrictions still in place make for lots of time indoors.  Add to that working from home, and there is not a lot of mileage added to our automobiles.  I did get out yesterday to mail the doll quilt and also send out another top to be quilted. 

A "quilt in the wild" shot of my backyard poppy preserve before mailing off to Canada.  We weren't supposed to include any extras this year for the Humble Quilts organized swap, but I couldn't resist using a couple of leftovers to make a tiny item. Shhh, don't tell Lori!


This is a coaster made of a sample 9 patch of 1.5" squares and a leftover 4.5" stripe square.  It was small enough to slip into the card I included in the package.  I first went to the local shipping store but after I learned it would cost $43.00 to ship by UPS, I drove myself to the Post Office.  My cost was $14 there--it may take longer, but will find its way through Customs and into the Canadian system in the next couple of weeks. 

Mask making included sewing up child size masks for our grandsons.  Star Wars for Cove, and Paw Patrol for little brother Hunter.


Daughter Elaine had not really wanted me to make them masks, as she said they were not taking the children out, but then she ended up having to bring Cove to the doctor for a small sore on his cheek.  She was afraid it was an infected spider bite.  Fortunately the doctor's office provided masks, had the patients wait in their cars until called in turn, and everyone's temperature was taken before entering.  The doc told her to clean it with a scrub product and get the scab off, then use a topical antibiotic.  We had a "social distancing" car visit with them yesterday and Dada tied the masks on for size.

Cove is stretching out in height and getting shoulders, my husband observed!


Hunter in a more dynamic pose, ha ha!  We had a good visit with the family and can't wait until hugging and kissing is once again allowed.  So hard to stay apart.  

We also had a social distancing visit with our son and pregnant daughter-in-law and could give them the little baby quilt for our next grandson in person.  I set up chairs in the backyard 6 feet apart and they entered the backyard from the street.  My blurry photos of the finished quilt notwithstanding, they  loved it--son Nick observed it had a lot of his wife Ashley's favorite colors.


I originally planned to use the blue solid for binding but did not have long enough strips left to avoid a lot of joins, so chose the same background light gray (Kona Silver) and added matched piecing to the corners for interest. 


A cute elephant print found on clearance at Superbuzzy.  I hand stitched down the binding, which I don't often have time for as a last minute finisher!--but there is lots of extra time these days for slow stitching.  I'm linking to another Canadian's blog, Kathy's Quilts, for Slow Sunday Stitching

Plans for today include an unpleasant task my husband wants to do--sorting out and closing an offsite storage unit.  Sigh.  I hope to get back to my sewing machine sometime today....there are more masks to work on.  Our guild is now tasked with sewing elastic on some paper PPE N95 masks which have dried-out plastic band elastic.  I believe these masks may be going to the homeless, but am not sure. Another guild member has cut the elastic to size and packaged it with the boxes of masks, so helpful! I'd like to get through the box of 35 in the next couple of days before getting another box delivery :)

5 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love both your doll quilt and the baby quilt! I hope you'll get a chance to hug and kiss those grandbabies soon!

Sarah said...

Those quilts are lovely, I really like your placing of the stripe fabric (looks really accurate). Nice you could see the grand kids even from a distance!

Loris said...

The masks for your grands are so cute! You do a lovely job with them.

Kate said...

Love the kiddos face masks, definitely cool. Just sorry there is a need to wear them. Fun baby quilt. Hope you survived the storage clean up/out and got back to your sewing machine.

Tanya said...

I get more information from you about the Corona situation than I get from my son or my sister-in-law (don't even mention my brother). So everyone is still social distancing... And wearing masks. It has been three weeks and I don't think my masks have arrived yet in California...

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...