Monday, April 20, 2020

Design Wall Monday--Endless April

It's Design Wall Monday again, see more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

I have a finished doll quilt, save for a label, which I will soon be sending to its new home far from SoCalif. 


Simple crosshatch with the walking foot.  I used a "hand quilted" stitch from the machine menu.

I like the extra texture of the thicker stitch.  You can also see the plain square's stripe detail in this pic.

The paisley fabric used for the Bar back and binding have been in stash a long time.  The background color of the paisley was hard to match with thread, being really neither brown nor gray.  

I sat outside at the patio table to stitch the binding to the back, ending up with brown thread as the best match.  There were a lot of steps added to the FitBit while cleaning off the chairs, tabletop, getting out the chair pads and opening the umbrella.  This requires checking for insects--we have a lot of black widow spiders around here.  A small spider did emerge onto his front porch from the top of the umbrella as I raised it, demanding to know what in tarnation was going on, but after glaring at me six feet below, turned and went back inside.  

While I had the walking foot on the sewing machine, two other small quilt sandwiches took their turn under the needle.  First was a small quilt for philanthropy donation that was cobbled together from a small bundle of fat 8ths that has been in stash awhile, with some stash additions. 


I have very little girly fabric in stash, but did manage to puzzle it out.  The binding is  Kona Pink Flamingo and the backing a mint green dot yardage.

Very simple quilting for this playmat that will be donated to a mother and baby group through the County. 

The next quilt took three different tries at choosing the design.  There was a lot of ripping happening before I was satisfied with the direction the quilting was taking. 


This is a playmat for our grandson due to be born in a few months.  I did not want the quilt to be stiff and finally struck on an offset plaid sort of design. I did not mark anything, just aimed for intersections in the piecing.

I love how it turned out--modern prints and straight line quilting worked out great.  Binding to follow...

4 comments:

loulee said...

Three great little quilts.
Love the way the fat eighths turned out.

Loris said...

Lovely finishes! I especially love the colors in the last one :-) Perfect choice for the quilting design.

Barb said...

You have been busy. Thanks for showing that machine quilt stitch, I just might have to use mine one day. Love the quilts.

Kate said...

The Doll quilt turned out beautifully! The play mats are pretty fun too. Somehow I missed that there was a new grandson on the way. Congratulations!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...