Monday, August 3, 2020

Design Wall Monday--8/3/2020

Design Wall Monday is here.  See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.

I've been shopping the stash to finish up all the lingering projects and squirrel projects. I finished off the binding for Dreamweaver and attached a label, the quilt also had its first bath;  I did not get to deliver the quilt or get pics of it yet with our son and daughter-in-law, perhaps next weekend.  There was leftover binding so I used it for a Guild baby quilt in progress. 

Looking back, I started this Houndstooth quilt THREE years ago.  Sheesh.  I could have cropped this photo better, but at least my pedicure still looks good--can't say the same about my manicure :)


Walking foot quilting with random spaced lines and then 3 step zig zag in an aqua thread.


Binding with a lighter print is a fun change.  I was annoyed at missing some of the binding while ditch stitching from the front, so added another line of machine stitching IN the binding.  I think it looks good, even if non-traditional. 


Backing with leftover flannel and scraps.   It finishes at about 40" square or so. Glad to have it off the list at last!

In the Squirrel category, I had a finished top that seemed too small to be very useful.  I bought the kit for the gingham plaid quilt at Sewtopia Boston nearly two years ago.  Shopping stash again for a border, I found a print that coordinated well with the teal green of the patchwork fabrics.


Pretty sure that was a quilting cotton I bought at Joann's several years ago.

Won't this make a cute picnic or beach quilt?  I've cobbled together a backing from leftovers and stash so that part is sorted. 

A Squirrel tablerunner also needed backing and binding.  I must have pulled 10 different choices for a pieced backing before cutting to the chase with a single fat quarter. 

I love the way channel quilting looks and chose to group together three lines across the piece.


I used a Hera tool to score the groups 1" apart, and the edge of the walking foot to space the quilting lines themselves.  Binding also got attached but I decided to hand stitch that down, a task for another day. 

Usually this time of year I would be showing how my entries did at our County Fair, but of course that was cancelled due to COVID-19.  Our County is still on a watch list, with more deaths and illnesses.  Scary times to be in crowded conditions.  There is always next year to hope for!

7 comments:

Loris said...

It feels so good to have finishes, doesn't it? Seeing your flying geese reminds me how I need to get around to sewing some. Maybe my next project. Hmm.. I love the green in yours.
SLO is on the watch list too. We had hoped to be in a better state of things by now. But oh well, we will keep on keeping on. I'm grateful for the opportunity on blogs and IG, etc to see what quilters are making.

Bonnie said...

You've been busy. I had noted your binding because I could tell it was done by machine. But, honestly, no one will look at it so closely. I usually pin to the back, sew, flip and sew from the front. Oops. I forgot to last quilt I did... for the most part it turned out fine. Your table runner is really cute and fun looking. Perfect for the late summer days. We're on watch for flooding and 3 - 6" of rain. As long as the electricity stays on I'm fine with it all!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Looking great; what a great shot you are-- missing no squirrels that wander into your range! :) I'm impressed with your stick-to-it-iveness.

loulee said...

It was good to catch up reading your last few posts. You have been as busy as always!
It is a shame that so many quilt shows have been cancelled, but as you say, maybe next year.

Sherrill said...

You're getting things done!! I am kinda but not to the finish stage on anything of late. Always good to have the pedicures! HA

Tanya said...

Take care! Love that zig-zag stitch alongside of the walking foot line. I’ll have to try that!

Kate said...

Congrats on all the progress on WIPs. Love the table runner and that baby quilt!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...