Sunday, September 27, 2020

Having an Occasional Good Time

This was a rough week, mood wise.  I spent way too much non-work time staring at my phone, as I didn't even desire to piece, which is a true sign of how low I was feeling!  I did do a little bit of hand embroidery, pulling out the well-aged wool applique blocks from the Greenpiece BOM my husband bought me so many years ago.  The bottle of applique glue that had been sitting in the Hoosier cabinet was unusable.  A longer than anticipated search for regular glue turned up another not-young bottle of Elmer's.  It worked well enough to adhere a few small dots. 

I just added the three little (tiny!) khaki details to the watermelon rind.  Somewhere I lost one piece and now think I want two more to make the rind more stripey--there is plenty of wool left.  The watermelon is about 7-8 inches at its widest.  


I glued down the yellow flower in the first block, and will add the layered stem/petal pieces already prepped. Next are even tinier black seeds to cut and add to the apple.  

By Friday I just had to get out of the house, and visited with my Mom and Dad for a couple of hours (with my mask on), then did a little shopping for a replacement rug and some fall decorations.  At Lowe's, Fall, Halloween, and Christmas were colliding, and expensive.  No runner sized rugs were available, so I drove to Big Lots where the same holidays were also crashing into each other. My least favorite unsupervised child activity was also occurring, siblings chasing each other all over the store, bigger boys vs little sister with very noisy sandals.  Sigh.  However, I found my favorite cookies, though I had to kneel on the floor and reach to the back of the bottom shelf to get the one bag of Archway Iced Molasses cookies left.  A suitable hall runner was also found.

Not wanting to go home yet, I took a long drive through town, down to the harbor, turned through the pumpkin and strawberry fields, then on some back streets, up to the foothills and east to the orange and lemon orchards before finally down to our driveway, feeling better. 

We had a great Saturday when this little guy and his parents came for a long visit.

Dane is gaining and growing just as he should at 6 weeks.  

The little family is doing well.  Mama has more time off, which is a good thing, while Dada is back to work.  

Baby smiles are the best!  And his left-cheek dimple echoes Mimi's :)  

After the family headed out, I pulled out the scrap box for choices for Lori of Humble Quilt's quiltalong.  I hadn't decided until then that I would join, given the number of unfinished objects around here!  But it's not a large quilt so I felt I could play too--and I love browns.


Next clue tomorrow, no idea where this is going to end up yet :) 

7 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

How wonderful to have a baby to pick up the spirits of everyone!
I'm thinking of joining in this mystery quiltalong too.

Loris said...

Dane is just so adorable :-)
I'm with you on the slow to sew part. Managed to sew a couple of masks, applique a whole 2 leaves and a flower and finally get back to my cat quilt. Before this week, I hadn't hardly sewn in a month. I think Lori's quilt will be lovely. I love the browns with the little bit of pink and blue thrown in. Maybe I'll look at some scraps too. She's an inspiring one :-)

Sherrill said...

Oh gosh, another visit with the baby!! That's a definite spirit lifter there in addition to everything else. I get out pretty much every day (less on the weekend) as I would go totally insane if I didn't and like you, I often take the long way around.

Janet O. said...

It is so easy for our mood to get pulled down these days. Glad you were able to get out and just wander at will. And then that little charmer came and did his job of cheering one and all.
Your wool blocks look really good, and I am happy to see you joined Lori's SAL. Sounds like it isn't going to be too exhausting. :)

Karen said...

Your watermelon block makes me want to purchase a few slices at the grocery store. I love watermelon.

Cute, cute baby!

Tanya said...

Has Covid been getting you down, or is it the fires in California? August was a hard month for me and I had trouble getting to my quilting projects too.

So nice though that you had Dane over again! That would be a real day brightener!

Kate said...

Sorry you had such a struggle last week. It is a really stressful time all around. Hence my decision after a sucky week at work, to have a solo quilt retreat today. Hopefully I feel much less stressed afterwards. Hope your week got much better.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...