Monday, December 7, 2020

Design Wall Monday--12/7/2020 Masks and Mishaps

 Design Wall Monday--see more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  

My design wall is bare.  I have a few masks in progress but otherwise spent most sewing room time cleaning off my cutting table.  There was lots of scrap sorting and cutting.  My sister caught me in her sewing room stuffing her "scraps" into a mailer.  She is allergic to small squares and strips so pitches what I would term "big" scraps--leftovers from mask making from fat quarters.  She also gifted me a few fat quarters of colors I haven't a lot of, and some metal nose pieces for masks.

I decided to make myself a Christmas mask and surveyed the family for any other mask requests.  Daughter Erica wanted another.  I sent her fabric choices from the fat quarter drawer in her favorite pinks/mauves.


She chose the third from the top right, which I knew she would!  I picked out a backing for her mask  but then had a mishap. 


Yes, you really should clear the mat of any pieces before laying out lining to trace and cut. I was disappointed because I had not much more than this left of the remnant and could not get two pieces recut. Of course nothing else similar could I find in my stash!


Some sewing did ensue, though nothing is yet complete.  It is very windy here today in SoCalif, and the threat of our power being shut off for fire danger is high.  I may or may not be working the whole day, but if I can catch some stitching time between patients, I will.  Later I'll try to get the Christmas tree trimmed.  The lights are always the hardest part, and that got done yesterday.


4 comments:

Janet O. said...

Oh, bummer on the miscut! Doesn't that just make your heart sink? And it is such a pretty fabric!
I have been stitching up some Christmas masks this past week, too. I just cut a bunch from what I had on hand and then sent photos to family and friends on a "first come, first served" basis. This morning I had my first experience to disappoint someone when my older sister contacted me with a changed mind, and I had already given out all the masks from the fabric she wanted. I dug through my small box of Christmas fabrics, but everything left was too small to cut the mask shapes. Don't tell her, but I probably could have pieced it, I just didn't have the time or energy.I'd already made the two masks she asked for initially. She will be fine. ;)

Bonnie said...

I keep saying I should make some new masks but haven't gotten the motivation. Plus I think I have 5 of them -- some with elastic some with ties. Maybe one day I'll take time to find my patterns and start a new mask or two. Sorry you had the miscue. So frustrating when that happens. It's been happening to me way too often recently. Sigh. Hope you get more sewing time during this week.

Sherrill said...

I hosted bunco in Nov. and there were only going to be 8 of us so I made 9 or 10 Christmas masks and let everyone choose one if they wanted. They all did so I wound up with an extra or two. I hope I don't have to make any more!!!

Kate said...

You've got some fun masks started. Sorry about the miscut, I try to make sure I don't have anything on the cutting table but the fabric being cut, though at the moment all the ribbons and Christmas gift tags are one it too. Hopefully, you were able to keep power and get in some good stitching time this week.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...