Thursday, January 21, 2021

Good Progress in the Wind

While the windstorm raged for three days in SoCal, I cut and sewed.  Our power never went out, but our girls both suffered more than 24 hours of lost power.  Both had just done big grocery shopping trips the day before the winds, unfortunately.  They will file claims for that loss with SCE.  I was able to work doing telemedicine, watching the winds and pieces of our 30 year old old roof fly around. A corner of the upper story's roof was completely denuded--even the roofing felt tore off. We had planned to replace the roof this year and that's definitely happening soon. Our BBQ grill cover also took a beating in the wind. 

It looks like it was attacked by weasels or dogs!  Fortunately it is easily replaced and the BBQ didn't flip over or anything.  I watched the storm news while finishing off the wooden stocking cross-stitch.  It turned out cute.

Bindings were also attached to the Perkiomen Valley Block baby quilt (no pic yet) and the Barefoot in the Park Christmas quilt that has been lounging around in the sewing room over two months since the quilter brought it back.

Scrappy backing there on the left, and matching binding to the border fabric.  This is a big quilt, an odd size, 75" wide and extra long at 96 inches.  I'm running out of storage room for finished quilts!

Today in between patients I got the last batch of Greenpiece applique patterns ironed to the wools and cut them out. 

Cut, cut, cut.  I immediately set to laying them out on the tree/grass background.

I used all but a few of the leaves to make the tree nice and full.  Originally I planned to glue baste the leaves but worried they might fall off while I hand embroidered them to the background.

Some large basting stitches with two strands of embroidery thread I think will work better.  The plan is to have all the leaves appliqued by the end of the month.  I think working in quadrants and taking out the basting stitches as I go will be better than moving around to the same color leaves.  I may find my brilliant idea to baste not so smart...we'll see!

7 comments:

Mary said...

Wow. You really did have a wind storm. Greenpiece is lovely.

julieQ said...

OH my goodness!! What an awful windstorm...I am glad that your children may get a bit of cash to pay for those spoiled groceries. I love your beautiful tree...not all the leaves the same, which adds to the loveliness!

Sherrill said...

Ooo, we had a 2-3 day high winds event as well!! I kept thinking 'STOP' as it raged on. I've had my fill of roof work lately..new one put on 2 years ago then last July, neighbor's GIANT pine fell on the corner of the house with one limb coming all the way through the remodeled master bath ceiling! GRRR Looks like a BUNCH of leaves to do on the tree but you are making progress.

Janet O. said...

Wow--you really had a wind event! The stocking you stitched through it all turned out very cute.
Love that tree! Being the lazy stitcher that I am, I would have to find a way to stitch all of the leaves of one color at a time. Just am so annoyed when I have to change thread color. I admire that you are unfazed by that and will work by quadrant. It is a beautiful tree.

Quilter Kathy said...

That wooden cross stitch ornament is so cute!
I really like the heart shaped pink leaves... enjoy the embroidery :)

Kate said...

I missed the news about the three day wind storm. Sounds very, very nasty. Sorry about your roof, that's really, really high winds. Congrats on all the quilty progress the last couple of weeks. You've definitely been busy. Your tree is leafing out beautifully. Happy stitching this weekend.

Tanya said...

Wow! What a storm! The wind scares me more than lightning and even earthquakes that we get here often. Before I used to worry about the trees around us tipping over, now, with no wind break from the trees I get concerned about the house blowing off its foundation!

Your wool tree is going to be so beautiful!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...